MotherBoard/CPU for full HD in 3D (HDMI 1.4)? (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I am considering upgrading the motherboard in my Scaleo E, mainly because I would like to be able to view one DVB-C encrypted channel while recording another. The only solution I have found or this is the Digital Devices Cine CT w/CI-Module.
    However, my current MoBo has no free PCIe slots.
    I am very limited in my choice of boards, as the Scaleo case can only take a micro-ATX w/max. 4 expansion slots. The case also houses a non-standard 250W power supply, so power consumption is a key consideration. I would like to be able to play 3D from DVB-C TV broadcast, BluRay disks and PC files in full HD with the on-board graphics system if possible.
    At first, the Intel DH67BLB3 seemed like the best choice, as it has headers for many of the case features (IR, etc.) and also has a PCI slot in the right position to support my existing PCI riser card. However, after reading this thread, as well as Intel's disclaimer:
    Intel® Desktop Boards DP67DE, DP67B A, DZ68DB, DH67BL, DH67GD,
    DH67CL, DH61SA, DH61CR, DH61BE, and DH61WW do not support PCI add
    in cards that utilize a PCI Express to PCI bridge component.
    it looks as though I may be better off forgetting PCI entirely.
    In this case, perhaps a Gigabyte such as GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 or GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 would be the right choice. If it is possible to get a PCIe x16 riser card, it might even offer the possibility of future expansion with a full-height graphics card (I am presently limited to half-height). Both boards claim to support both CrossFire and SLI, which should help if I retrofit a separate graphics card in the future. The MX is almost 50% more expensive than the MA, and it isn't clear to me why.
    Can someone advise me on which one to use, or suggest a better alternative?
    I am also struggling with the decision of which CPU to get.
    Hoborg suggests the i5-2405S, but I am wondering if I can get by with the i3-2100T, which seems to need less power.
    Any advice or comments are welcome!
    :D in advance!

P.S. After closer examination, I see that the Gigabyte MX board provides an eSATA and a DisplayPort interface in addition to those provided by the MA. The eSATA could prove useful in the future, but headers for the front panel features (IR, VF display, etc.) are more important to me now. Unfortunately, Gigabyte doesn't seem to have a uATX board with such features. Can anyone suggest a board that does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom