Motherboard for MediaPortal server ONLY - can an ATOM 330 do it?

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by keldb, June 10, 2009.

1. keldb

keldb New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    Have someone tried to use an ATOM 330 (dual core) cpu as a MP server, where it is only used as server?

I want to make a server with 2 DVB-C tunes for a start.

It should be able to do HD channels.

I've brought an Acer Revo r3600 to be the client - hopefully it is strong enough.

Do I need a more powerfull machine, or will it do the job?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wollo
    • Premium Supporter

wollo MP Donator

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I've just started with a r3600 as a client. Not tried with S2 Sat yet, SD is fine, picture quality seems a little poor, but it is untweaked and my first experience with HDMI. MP 1020 and streamed MP are responsive, mini guide takes a hile first time. This may be network related (cat5e).

4. Ruud
    • Premium Supporter

Ruud MP Donator

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Server only: for sure.
    CPU load for timeshifting and recording is below 3% this because no processing of the data is taking place on the server but on the client.
    regards,
    Ruud.

• Like Like x 1
  5. keldb

keldb New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Denmark Denmark
    Ok... THX

Keldb

6. Robertxc

Robertxc Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Do you think this would also be the case with 2 DVB-S2 receivers?

7. funkstar
    • Premium Supporter

funkstar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I can't see how there would be much difference from DVB-C to DVB-S2 as far as processor usage when recording. I guess you just have to make sure that the sub systems can actually move that amount of data abough quick enough. I would suspect that timeshifting/recording two sets of HD channels would be quite demanding on the disks.

i remember reading about a MythTV user that managed to get his crumbly old P133 to record DVB-T streams using custom linux distro and the LinuxTV DTV drivers. Though I don't think there was software on that do much else :)

8. jiggles

jiggles New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    The thing I'd caution using an Ion about is not so much the timeshifting/recording, it's all the database activity the server has to do to keep the client(s) happy. That could be quite noticeable when eg. browsing the EPG, which is when you most want client to be snappy.

9. wijnand

wijnand Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ keldb: How do you plan to plug your tuner cards?

I've been searching for an atom motherboard for quite a while now, but no succes. I want to have a PCI slot and a firewireport on it.
    - PCI for my RAID5 medialibrary config
    - firewire for 2 floppy dtv s2's

An atom is more than powerfull to drive a MP server. So this hangs on connectivity.. its a pitty!

Someone ideas? :D

Regards,

Wijnand

10. Cousin_Jerry

Cousin_Jerry Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So what's suggested as a minimum for a 'snappy' server? I'm using an old AMD2500+ and I feel like its just not keeping up. Any suggestions?

11. wijnand

wijnand Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm using at the moment a Asus p5k-vm mobo with an E2180 proc, + 2 floppy dtv s2's and no problems so far. Even HD channels are no problem for the server, since the server only has to pass-through the stream, the MediaPortal frontends are the ones who has to encode and must therefore quite powerfull..
    I think an atom330 will work as a server only perfectly. Only testing will give you a 100% answer.

For a media server it will also do the job; I've used in the recent past a old 1.2Ghz p3 as a media server and even blueray rips where no problem to stream..

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!