Motherboard for MediaPortal server ONLY - can an ATOM 330 do it? (1 Viewer)

keldb

January 27, 2009
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Have someone tried to use an ATOM 330 (dual core) cpu as a MP server, where it is only used as server?

I want to make a server with 2 DVB-C tunes for a start.

It should be able to do HD channels.

I've brought an Acer Revo r3600 to be the client - hopefully it is strong enough.

Do I need a more powerfull machine, or will it do the job?

wollo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    I've just started with a r3600 as a client. Not tried with S2 Sat yet, SD is fine, picture quality seems a little poor, but it is untweaked and my first experience with HDMI. MP 1020 and streamed MP are responsive, mini guide takes a hile first time. This may be network related (cat5e).

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Have someone tried to use an ATOM 330 (dual core) cpu as a MP server, where it is only used as server?

I've brought an Acer Revo r3600 to be the client - hopefully it is strong enough.

Server only: for sure.
    CPU load for timeshifting and recording is below 3% this because no processing of the data is taking place on the server but on the client.
    regards,
    Ruud.

keldb

January 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    CPU load for timeshifting and recording is below 3% this because no processing of the data is taking place on the server but on the client.
    regards,
    Ruud.

Ok... THX

Keldb

Robertxc

Portal Member
    January 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland

regards,
    Ruud.
    Do you think this would also be the case with 2 DVB-S2 receivers?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Do you think this would also be the case with 2 DVB-S2 receivers?
    Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I can't see how there would be much difference from DVB-C to DVB-S2 as far as processor usage when recording. I guess you just have to make sure that the sub systems can actually move that amount of data abough quick enough. I would suspect that timeshifting/recording two sets of HD channels would be quite demanding on the disks.

i remember reading about a MythTV user that managed to get his crumbly old P133 to record DVB-T streams using custom linux distro and the LinuxTV DTV drivers. Though I don't think there was software on that do much else :)

jiggles

December 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    The thing I'd caution using an Ion about is not so much the timeshifting/recording, it's all the database activity the server has to do to keep the client(s) happy. That could be quite noticeable when eg. browsing the EPG, which is when you most want client to be snappy.

wijnand

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @ keldb: How do you plan to plug your tuner cards?

I've been searching for an atom motherboard for quite a while now, but no succes. I want to have a PCI slot and a firewireport on it.
    - PCI for my RAID5 medialibrary config
    - firewire for 2 floppy dtv s2's

An atom is more than powerfull to drive a MP server. So this hangs on connectivity.. its a pitty!

Someone ideas? :D

Regards,

Wijnand

Cousin_Jerry

Portal Pro
    May 7, 2006
    The thing I'd caution using an Ion about is not so much the timeshifting/recording, it's all the database activity the server has to do to keep the client(s) happy. That could be quite noticeable when eg. browsing the EPG, which is when you most want client to be snappy.

So what's suggested as a minimum for a 'snappy' server? I'm using an old AMD2500+ and I feel like its just not keeping up. Any suggestions?

wijnand

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm using at the moment a Asus p5k-vm mobo with an E2180 proc, + 2 floppy dtv s2's and no problems so far. Even HD channels are no problem for the server, since the server only has to pass-through the stream, the MediaPortal frontends are the ones who has to encode and must therefore quite powerfull..
    I think an atom330 will work as a server only perfectly. Only testing will give you a 100% answer.

For a media server it will also do the job; I've used in the recent past a old 1.2Ghz p3 as a media server and even blueray rips where no problem to stream..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom