Motherboard selection

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by mapatton, March 9, 2006.

1. mapatton

mapatton New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been reading for a couple weeks and wanted to get your thoughts on selecting a motherboard for a HTPC.

The role of the HTPC will only to be a repository for 300+ CDs saved on the hard drive. I will not be using it for watching, tuning, or recording TV or DVD playback (but maybe Dvix in the future). The plan is to run Media Portal, with the video either (if SVideo - direct into the plasma) or (if DVI - into my DVI/HDMI switch) and the SPDIF into my AV receiver.

Ideally I am looking for a mATX, with onboard sound with a SPDIF, onboard video with either SVideo or DVI, firewire and SATA support.
    The MSI RS480M2-IL looked promising, but appears to be legacy as finding a place that has it has been sketchy.

Anything out there like this? Passivley cooled onboard video is a plus as is an IR Header as it will be controlled by my Pronto 7000.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thkogel
    • Premium Supporter

thkogel MP Donator

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have the MSI RS482M4-ILD
    look here: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=693

+ mATX
    + AMD Cool&Quiet
    + SPDIF-out (pins on board allways)
    + OnBorad ATI Redeon graphic (passiv cooled)
    + PCIe
    + IDE and SIDE with RAID
    + a.s.o.

ILD meens:

I = IEEE 1394
    L = LAN
    D = DVI

Standby (Suspend to RAM) and Hibernate works very fine.

Its a very good and cheap board

4. Tech Geek

Tech Geek Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!