[solved] Move recorded TV using Explorer, then delete from Recordings (1 Viewer)

rpal

Portal Member
May 14, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In MediaPortal 2 "Spring of '16", if I move recorded TV to a different folder using Windows 10 File Explorer, the "Delete from storage" option disappears from the Recordings screen. I have to copy the files back, then use "Delete from storage," but copying large files takes a long time, while moving large files to the same hard drive is practically instantaneous. I want to move my recorded TV daily, and clean up the Recordings screen (make it empty), as I watch the TV later using a different player. I also use MediaPortal 1.12 (I haven't updated to 1.14), where I have no problem moving the files then removing them from MediaPortal.

Bottom line feature request for MediaPortal 2 "Spring of '16": Ability to clear items from Recordings screen without deleting them from hard drive, or clear them if they have been moved using Explorer.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why don't you set it up to store the recordings directly in your final target Folder?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Bottom line feature request for MediaPortal 2 "Spring of '16": Ability to clear items from Recordings screen without deleting them from hard drive, or clear them if they have been moved using Explorer.
    There had been intensive discussion around these elements under MP1. Actually you can't have it all. While you may like it this way, others prefer it differently and there are many people who prefer to be able to delete recorded shows from within MP, which not only removes the database entry but of course is also deleting the file. Doing it as you request would lead to the database entry being removed but leavving the file behind.

In short, you would need to copy (rather than moving) the files and then delete your recording from within MP.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    if I move recorded TV to a different folder using Windows 10 File Explorer, the "Delete from storage" option disappears from the Recordings screen.
    Indeed this is as planed. You can not delete something that isn't there...

I want to move my recorded TV daily, and clean up the Recordings screen (make it empty),
    Nothing easier than this. You only need to wait until the next refresh of the recordings share and all externally moved or deleted recordings will be removed from the Database and for this not show up in Recordings view any longer. You can trigger a refresh manual from inside the MP2 GUI in Settings - Media Sources - Media Sources Overview and/or let it do automatically once a day. Default this happens at 2:00 in the night. This also can be configured in Media Sources Settings (Time and if it should automatically refresh at all).

Ability to clear items from Recordings screen without deleting them from hard drive
    This is not useful. If there is something in the recordings folder it must be shown in recordings view. Everything else is a bug.

In short, you would need to copy (rather than moving) the files and then delete your recording from within MP.
    In very short ;) , this is not the case as I explained above.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    H
    You only need to wait until the next refresh of the recordings share and all externally moved or deleted recordings will be removed from the Database and for this not show up in Recordings view any longer.
    What is the behavior if the associated path is simply not available at this moment?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What is the behavior if the associated path is simply not available at this moment?

If the path did not exist during a refresh (e.g. removable drives or offline- NAS or similar) all media will stay untouched unless you remove the media source itself.

If the path exists all no longer existing media will be removed from DB during a refresh...

E.G. you have set up a media source on an USB stick. To remove media from DB formerly stored on this stick you either have to plug the stick in and run a refresh or remove the media source completely. Then and only then media from not existing path will be removed from DB.

This behavior is identical on all media sources including the "recordings" source.

rpal

Portal Member
    May 14, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks, Lehmden, for informing me of the solution already implemented. The automatic daily method will save me time, but the manual method is also great for occasional use. These methods are excellent. The only improvement I could ask for is an option to do it automatically at MP2 startup or shutdown, but I'm happy with what is already there. I'll start using MP2 on both of my computers now.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    It is planed to implement some kind of "File System Watcher" that constantly watches the source folders for changed files. If some media are copied/moved into a watched folder they instantly will be added to the database and also if some media is removed from the folders it will be removed from DB too instantly. I think this will be even better than your proposed refresh on startup...
    But I can not give you a time frame when this is ready for usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom