Movie management ... again .... custom grouping (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm looking for a way to group movies ... not PIN locked, or by Genre or Certification. I would like to create a group that would include some G and PG (and unrated) but exclude individual titles that a parent might deem inappropriate for their child, regardless of it's Certification or Genre ... without changing the Certification or adding a Genre in the db. ... things that might be reverted if the movies are rescanned. And with nearly 800 movies spread over 2 HDD, I'd rather not create new folders and move the movies around.

What I would like to do is, while viewing the list of movies in MovingPictures GUI, select a movie, press info and be able to add the movie to a defined group (or first create a new group), like "Kid Approved", " Dad's Favorites" or "Mom's Favorites". This function could be PIN locked.

Something to consider?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    You probably are aware of this, but in case you are not you can setup whitelists for filters instead of rulesets. Functionally this does exactly what you are describing, only problem is this is only accessible in the config at the moment.

I think your suggestion is good though, and because of the existing functionality it would probably not be too difficult to implement. This next release will be mostly focused on the in GUI Importer, but hopefully we can get something like what you are describing in soonish after. If anyone that can code is interested in helping, jump on IRC (#moving-pictures on irc.freenode.net) and we can talk.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    is this in the wiki? ... I was looking for some explanation to do this .. didn't see anything on whitelists, nor in the FAQ.

Thanks

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm looking for a way to group movies ... not PIN locked, or by Genre or Certification. I would like to create a group that would include some G and PG (and unrated) but exclude individual titles that a parent might deem inappropriate for their child, regardless of it's Certification or Genre ... without changing the Certification or adding a Genre in the db.

I've got a system exactly like that in use for a few years now, by abusing the rating system. It sounds like you do not have to wait very long for the ability to be added correctly into MovPic, so looks like you are better off waiting. If however you are very impatient, let me know and I can explain how I did it in more detail.

PS: The blacklist and whitelist options are right at the bottom of the filter ruleset that you edit to create custom categories. So you can remove individual entries that get caught by the filter rules you have, or add individual entries that would never be captured with the generic filters you are using.

Last edited:

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    This is the starting point for the documentation on the wiki. However the actual whitelist is in the filter editor which is not currently documented. Sorry about this. Hopefully once you take a look it will be fairly strait forward but if you have questions let me know.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Thanks for the help... I think I have it figured out.

SUCCESS!!!

Thanks again... :)

I now have a kid friendly (parent approved) movie list in a Category/Sub-category "Favorites/Kids Approved" that I can list in my Movie sub-menu in Avallonis

Last edited:

thlucas

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Home Country
    It would be really cool to be able to add / remove a movie to a whitelist filter via the skin (under F9 functions . Actions menu maybe)!

thlucas

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Home Country
    Now that you created all of these custom filters and associated all of your movies, you will want an easy way to restore all of these settings should you have to reinstall MP or movingPictures.​
    I finally finished the MP Import Export Tool, and released it as a "Testing" phase - more info can be found on the MP downloads page:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/tools/movingpictures-import-export-gui

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom