Movie navigation issues in MP2 (1 Viewer)

StephanM

Portal Member
October 14, 2016
Barcelona
Home Country
European Union European Union
Hi there,

1) While navigating between the different movies in the menu, I would sometimes like to see the movie info screen (actors and technical details) before playing the movie.
Logically I would expect to get there with the info button on my MCE remote control, but I get some other menu instead. I tried every other buttons on my MCE remote without any luck.
I know this info screen exists as sometimes I can get there while the movie is playing, however I'm not able to remember how to get there.

2) If I press the back key on my remote while a movie is playing I return to the menu, but the movie keeps playing in the background. Is there any easy way to get back to the movie? I would expect the play button to do this, but it doesn't. I'm only able to stop the movie with the stop button on the remote and start it again.

Sorry if these questions have been answered in the past, but I wasn't able to find anything in the wiki or in the forums.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1) While navigating between the different movies in the menu, I would sometimes like to see the movie info screen (actors and technical details) before playing the movie.
    Logically I would expect to get there with the info button on my MCE remote control, but I get some other menu instead. I tried every other buttons on my MCE remote without any luck.
    I know this info screen exists as sometimes I can get there while the movie is playing, however I'm not able to remember how to get there.
    I agree with you, currently the concept is not done so well. You have an info screen, that can only be accessed while the media item is playing and over a menu, that is only existing, when you leave the screen, where the media item is playing. That's far away from any expectation and intuitivity.
    I changed for the new skin already some things. Every player control has an "info button" to directly access information about the currently playing media item.
    Additionally I plan exactly what you asked for: When pressing info on the remote while a media item has focus, "info" is part of the menu list to show information about the media item (even it's not playing). Unfortuntely I need a developer adding some code for this, so it's not only in my hand.

2) If I press the back key on my remote while a movie is playing I return to the menu, but the movie keeps playing in the background. Is there any easy way to get back to the movie? I would expect the play button to do this, but it doesn't. I'm only able to stop the movie with the stop button on the remote and start it again.
    In WMC skin, there is always a "fullscreen" button in the button player controls (but only with mouse movement). Apart from that there is a remote and keyboard key for that. Please check the wiki.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In addition to what @ge2301 juszt wrote:
    I would sometimes like to see the movie info screen (actors and technical details) before playing the movie.
    There is no special command for this. These infos get displayed automatically, subject to your skin/theme if you select the 'correct' screen. For example episodes details will automatically be displayed in the Win10 theme, regardless if in list, poster or raster view. This does actually apply to any media item that is focused. If oyu don't see the details, try to change the theme.

I would expect the play button to do this, but it doesn't.
    The red button (the red from the teletext ones) does the job.

StephanM

Portal Member
    October 14, 2016
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Thanks guys for replying.

So after reading the wiki about Keyboard and remote control input my understanding is that the movie info screen can only be reached while the movie is playing and with the Shift+C key on a keyboard or by using a mouse. Is there really no other way to get there by only using the remote?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    my understanding is that the movie info screen
    This is the wrong conclusion or maybe the wrong question. Obviously you can only reach the Movie play screen when the movie is playing. However - as I already wrote above - svery media item will display its content as soon as it has the focus. That said, if you have your movie view with you e 10,100 or 1000 movies, as soon as you put the focus on any of them, you'll see the details of this media item.

What you see is subject to your filter and display selection., but standard info such as content and duration will always be displayed, regardless of whether you use a keyboard, a mouse or a remote. Each input device can achieve the same.

StephanM

Portal Member
    October 14, 2016
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Wow that was a fast reply, I hope you are not feeling offended by my questions. I really like the work done in MP2.

Maybe there is some confusion here. I know that the main movie infos (title, year, rating, run time, genres and plot) are displayed automatically while selecting a movie. However sometimes I would like to see additional infos like spoken language, subtitles, certification, movie set before playing it. Years ago this was possible in MP1 with the excellent myFilms plugins. I have a collection of over 5000 movies in their original languages which I maintain in tinyMediaManager, and depending of who is watching with me I might want to select a movie accordingly.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I hope you are not feeling offended by my questions.
    Certainly not.

However sometimes I would like to see additional infos like spoken language, subtitles, certification, movie set before playing it.
    The philosophy of MP2 skins is that contrary to MP1 they are rather lean. Again the "what" is defined by the skin (and what the skinner had in mind), but generally it is preferred to not display every available information in order to not overload the picture. I believe that @ge2301 has for example included age certifications in his WMC skin. That said there is no specific command to display the data that you are looking for and this would be subject to an alternative view (or a modified theme).

depending of who is watching with me I might want to select a movie accordingly.
    I can't check this now but Is "Language" maybe something that MP2 allows to filter for in the view settings?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would like to see additional infos like spoken language, subtitles, certification, movie set before playing it.
    That said there is no specific command to display the data that you are looking for and this would be subject to an alternative view (or a modified theme)
    There is a screen with more details as mentioned above,
    • ...but currently it only can be entered while the media item is playing and as you realized without direct remote short-cut. Our developer @henso is quite short in time, but perhaps there is a way to connect the "currently playing" screen in the Input Device Manager manually. As the "currently playing" screen has a Workflow Action-ID, this should be technically possible.
    • ...The future skin "Nereus" (you can find infos in MP2 skin section) will be part of MP2.3 and it will support the info screen before playing the media items (as this is the normal process, I wonder who plays a media item to see more details ;))

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    and it will support the info screen before playing the media items (as this is the normal process,
    Can you imagine to amend the BV skin/themes accordingly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom