Movieimporter throwing errors, doesn't import anything (1 Viewer)

C.44

Portal Member
January 16, 2008
Germany
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Sorry i meant to get back on this earlier, life got in the way i think.

Anyway, i'm absolutely sure there was nothing else in the folder. However, when you mentioned an .nfo file i remembered i had a setting enabled that looked for a .nfo file for movie info. I took a shot, disabled it and it worked. All 7-800 movies imported in couple of minutes.

Thanks again =)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Sorry i meant to get back on this earlier, life got in the way i think.

Anyway, i'm absolutely sure there was nothing else in the folder. However, when you mentioned an .nfo file i remembered i had a setting enabled that looked for a .nfo file for movie info. I took a shot, disabled it and it worked. All 7-800 movies imported in couple of minutes.

Thanks again =)

Glad it worked, but now for the real question, can you help find out why it failed :)

Since this is a Mac share, there is the possability that Apple created hidden NFO files or some that are conflicting.

Can you like enable view on hidden files and locate those NFO files and upload a ZIP file of them? More then likely they are small and do not contain much information, but it should help figure out a way to exclude those during import.

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've checked and other than a couple mac specific files there is nothing in the directory besides the file itself. There certainly is no .nfo file in it.

However, since i've installed OSX 10.7 Lion on my mac i did encounter more than one problem with my SMB shares. On 10.6 Snow Leopard i didn't have those problems.

This morning when i was reinstalling MP because i am having problems with my FloppyDTV's not decoding encrypted HDTV channels after a reboot, i tried to copy the install files from my mac. However it would constantly give me the same error as Moving Pictures threw (the syntax error).

I have been looking around on the net and even though there isn't a lot of info around about it, there seem to be major problems with the new SMB implementation Apple used for 10.7. At this moment i am somewhat determined that it has something to do with that version of SMB rather than Moving Pictures or windows in general.

I just hope that one day Apple and Windows can play together nicely. That or i move every movie and series i have into a NAS i might have to buy once (when pigs fly) although i have seem numerous problems with Lion and some NAS systems as well.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I just hope that one day Apple and Windows can play together nicely.

I actually still believe that Apple does it on purpose to persuade consumers into buying more Apple products (forced Halo effect), because they supposedly "Just work".

There is no other explanation for how shoddy QuickTimes and iTunes work under Windows otherwise :D

C.44

Portal Member
    January 16, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well i ran into more problems because of Apple's lousy (*cough cough*UNDERSTATEMENT*cough cough) implementation of their own version of a SMB daemon. Last night i couldn't even play a movie anymore in MP 1.2.0 without getting codec errors. Looked at the error.log file and found some familiar statements about the file syntax being incorrect. Being completely fed up with dealing with crappy smb setup i decided to completely disable Apple's standard filesharing and install/run my own.

I'll not get into specifics (unless somebody wants me to) but at least everything runs the way it should right now. Technically i didn't have to re-import everything, but for peace of mind i deleted the database and started fresh. Takes a loooong time on these ancient german 0.75mBit dsl connections i can tell you that much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom