"Movies" or "Videos"? (1 Viewer)

druden

Portal Pro
January 2, 2006
Denmark
Not really a major bug, but I thought I'd better mention it anyway...

MP Setup uses the term "Movies" (Movie folder, Movie player etc.). MP itself uses the term "My Videos" (videos etc.), which seems like a lack of consistency.

IMHO "My Movies" is preferred as a more general term, since "Video" might remind people about the era of video tapes (VHS etc.)

Comments?

Kind regards,
Jesper

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
I never thougt of that since I use mp, but I support your comment.

There are also movie databases (imdb, ofdb). Video is the medium from which movies can be played.

My Videos -> My Movies
(German notation: Videos -> Filme)

Ralph

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm still used to the term video for everything that's not in cinema or live on tv.
    It doesn't matter if it's a recorded show, or a movie from a vhs-tape or dvd or from hdd.
    For me it's all a video.

Regards
    Ralph

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    If it really bothered you you could just edit your strings.xml. I think you would also need to change one or so images in your skin. But yeah, if it really concerned you then it is an easy fix. No need to change it on everyone's MediaPortal.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I don't agree. I keep downloaded tv-shows and music videos as well as movies under My Videos. I wouldn't want them all to be called "Movies". Video isn't just a medium, I'd say it's basically moving pictures of any kind.

druden

Portal Pro
    January 2, 2006
    Denmark
    Hi Jawbroken (et.al), I'm not...
    ...by this or pointing fingers at anyone. I'm putting forward a suggestion on how to make the Media Portal interface more consistent, to improve the experience to everyone... because MP is great :D

The term "Video" used in the MP interface itself is called "Movies" in the MP setup. I don't have strong feelings for one or the other, I'm only saying it would improve MP if either term is used consistently across MP and MP setup.

I hope we agree on this, so this thread can focus on the choice between "Movies" and "Videos".

Affter having read all the replies, I think that Jetboy and Ralph have a good point in Movies being a "subset" of Videos (Videos may be TV recordings, Disney shorts, etc. and of course Movies).

If there's a general feeling about this, I suggest that MP Setup is changed to use the term "Video" too so that this is consistent across MP and MP setup... :?:

Kind regards,
    Jesper

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I was only talking about your suggestion to change it to My Movies. I agree that the configuration should probably be labelled Videos, but it is not a huge deal, I think.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

moved the topic to "Talk". I think it fits a bit better in here. ;)

But you got a point druden. Consisten naming is really helpfull. I would also vote for "Video" in the Configuration. Not a big deal, i think, as jawbroken said. Perhaps one of the devs will pick it up.

Any other namings that seem to be wrong or inconsistent?

Flip

Confusedpenguin

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    UK
    FlipGer said:
    Any other namings that seem to be wrong or inconsistent?

Flip

There's two I spotted:

The 'My Recipes' plugin has an incorrect graphic for the Bluetwo skin, it says 'recipies' instead of 'recipes' for the title (though the rest is correct).

In the setup wizard (within MP, not the separate programme), in 'TV Setup>Auto Turn on TV' the two options have 'automatically' spelt 'automaticly'.

Nit-picking I know, but I thought I'd point it out. Not sure if it would be better to put this post in the skins section, but I put it here anyway. There's a couple of other parts missing apostrophes etc but I didn't want to get too picky :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom