Moving files to a new server (1 Viewer)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello,

I will be building a new server soon, and want to move all my files from one server called 'bedroom' to a new server called 'server'.

I have a number of files that have been manually imported as they are dvd rips, so each episode has been assigned a Series Name, season and episode number, against the .ifo files using the Import tab on the MP TV Series config.

I have read some old forum posts suggesting that the files can just be moved, and as long as the new path is added to the Import tab, MP TV Series will just pick this up and move them. However, I am testing this theory on a test machine, and it doesn't seem to work. If I move the DVD ripped files from one hard drive to another hard drive, even if both paths are added to the import tab, MP TV Series just tells me that the files are offline, and does not find them in their new location.

I can't find a way of changing the path names of the files from D Drive to C Drive, so I assume this will be the same if I move them from one network location to another. The only seeming way to do it is to re-import everything manually, and I really don't want to do that!

Any tips?

Many thanks

lisa

muppetman

Portal Member
    September 26, 2012
    Home Country
    I just did this last weekend, so I'm surprised you are having issues - here are the steps I followed:

1. Create the new network share and add it to MP-TV series config.
    2. CLOSE the MePo client (this was important, it didn't work unless I did this - not sure why, unless it was locking the share somehow).
    3. Move files from the old location to new location.
    4. Open MP_Tv series config, run the import again and the import will run through updating the share locations - it won't grab Metadata again unless it doesn't exist).

That's all I did!

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks @muppetman I guess that works if all the files are auto parsed, but where I have manually matched the DVD ripped .ifo files, it didn't pick these up, unfortunately...

muppetman

Portal Member
    September 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Hmmm...not quite sure what you mean? I have quite a lot of family videos that I have manually created dvdid and ifo files, and they were picked up and locations updated just fine.

Is that what you mean? If so, sorry, I can't offer any help as mine worked just fine!
    Oh, just seen you sorted it, so no worries!

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi again, interesting that it worked for you and not for me then!

I have say, some Doctor Who DVD's that I have ripped, and when I imported them, I have to type in the series name, series number and episode number against each ifo that is identified on each dvd. Then it lists them in TV Series as individual episodes, and when I go to play them, it plays the correct DVD rip.

This is the information that wasn't copied when I switched location of the DVD files, the episodes were still listed, but it says that the media was offline, it didn't auto find it in the new location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom