Moving Pictures cause MP to crash (1 Viewer)

majls_files

Portal Member
July 1, 2011
MediaPortal: v1.3.0
MovingPictures: v1.5.1.1487

Lately i am having issues with Moving Pictures plugin which causes Media Portal to crash (when I disable Moving Pictures plugin MP works fine). In MP log I can see cause for crash:

2013-07-25 13:04:57.004791 [Info.][(45)]: Exception :Illegal characters in path.
2013-07-25 13:04:57.005791 [Info.][(45)]: site :Void CheckInvalidPathChars(System.String)
2013-07-25 13:04:57.006791 [Info.][(45)]: source :mscorlib
I guess i am having illegal characters in path, I created a script to look for non ASCII characters and everything is fine with all file-names.
I tried removing all video sources(all on Samba) and left only one folder (on Samba) where I have round 5 video files, it still crashes.
I tried recreating movie database with this one folder still same result.

What can I do to find this "illegal characters in path"?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    tryoverwrite with new movpic installation and delete movpic settings file prior. i have no idea if that movpic version is compatible with mp1.3, although I'm sure someone else would know...

majls_files

Portal Member
    July 1, 2011
    I already tried with complete new movpic installation. Now i moved my files from samba to local drive and it has not crashed since. i guess there is something with movpic and samba connection. i have to figure out what happens, i'm guessing connection is lost for a brief moment.
    While watching videos from samba i never experienced any problems maybe because it buffers but i am just guessing here.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Linux allows characters in paths that Windows does not like.

Are you using UTF-8 codes or windows-reserved-characters in your shares and/or folder/filenames or something? In Linux for example you can use '?' inside your file/foldernames without any problems, but Windows will shit-a-brick then (pardon my French).

majls_files

Portal Member
    July 1, 2011
    that is why i created a script to look for non ascii characters and when ever such file is recognized i rename it. since i copied entire content of samba folder to local drive mp has not crashed (14h).

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    That's the point though, \, ? and * are ASCII characters, but will cause Windows to crash hard.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    PS: What I also forgot to mention is that MovPic needs 'write/modify' permission for some weird reason on import paths, lot of Samba shares are setup as pure read-only and can also cause issues. But if you were able to move your entire collection and it works, all the power to ya.

majls_files

Portal Member
    July 1, 2011
    That's the point though, \, ? and * are ASCII characters, but will cause Windows to crash hard.
    I modified my script to look also for characters not allowed in windows:
    < (less than)
    > (greater than)
    : (colon)
    " (double quote)
    / (forward slash)
    \ (backslash)
    | (vertical bar or pipe)
    ? (question mark)
    * (asterisk)

It didn't find any files with such characters.

PS: What I also forgot to mention is that MovPic needs 'write/modify' permission for some weird reason on import paths, lot of Samba shares are setup as pure read-only and can also cause issues. But if you were able to move your entire collection and it works, all the power to ya.

All my video folders have 777 set on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom