Moving Pictures config & MP crashing (1 Viewer)

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
Country flag
Hello RoChess

Okay, I will start with the divide and conquer process to see if I can narrow down the offending file(s).
I would be interested in trying your verification script, I have an i5 in my Media-PC, so hopefully it would run a bit quicker.

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
Country flag
Surprisingly MovPic now successfully scans all the folders, after I reintroduced them 1 by 1 !!
MediaPortal was still crashing, but that turned out to be Fanart handler, which I have now disabled.
So now all I have to do is deal with the 1832 items, it hasn't automatically identified :(

Thanks RoChess for your help, I really appreciate it.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Country flag
    Yeah, and it can be an annoying single file with corrupt header that is causing it.

Clearly Moving-Pictures should have used more try/catch code to support exceptions without crashing, but it is hard to account for every scenario unless you have an easy reproducible way to test for all possible use-cases.

Computer code tends to be 100 lines of code to do something, and then it grows to 10,000 lines to account for every possible scenario that might go wrong :)

Fanart-handler has given me much grieve in the past as well, because it caused database corruption for me to occur (and sounds like that was your issue as well). That is what ended up inspiring me to write an auto-backup+restore script for MediaPortal (available somewhere on this forum as well), which uses SQLite.exe command-line tool and runs a PRAGMA INTEGRITY scan real quick to verify the database did not become corrupt, and if it did to auto-restore the last known good-backup.

Feel free to use that as well to avoid running into the same issue again, because it is annoying to have to do a fresh install and full import scan each time something goes wrong.

Moving-Pictures makes a backup itself as well, but only when you update the plugin. Still that backup might save you some time if it was made before the database got corrupted.

PS: IMDb+ should be able to auto-identify a lot more than the default IMDb scraper that comes with MovPic, so that might save you a bunch of time.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Country flag
    This is the script (attached), and yeah an i5 should do much better than the AMD A5-5300 that I used, unless you got a really old i5 second generation.

It requires ffmpeg.exe that you can download from: Builds - Zeranoe FFmpeg and extract from the ZIP file in the /bin folder.

I'd recommend to first put the script in a folder with 1 or 2 sample media files, so you can see what it does and how long it will take.

It's an ugly script that does not support resume or anything, so if it fails for some unexpected reason you're on your own, but I would be interested in more info to see if I can improve it.

Two logs file are created, one that shows every file processed (good and bad), and one that shows just the ones that failed.

PS: The failures should fail to play in MediaPlayerClassic or VLC, but it is good to double-check obviously as ffmpeg.exe might have a bug itself as well.

Attachments

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Country flag
    Fanart-handler has given me much grieve in the past as well, because it caused database corruption for me to occur (and sounds like that was your issue as well).
    Probably it uses SQL requests instead of some MovPics API, that's why

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    M.Hulot Moving Pictures lässt sich nach Windows-Update nicht mehr öffnen Plugins & Erweiterungen 1
    cerberus Moving Pictures zeigt Film Spezifikationen nicht richtig Plugins & Erweiterungen 12
    P Configuration Moving Pictures Support d'installation et de configuration 0
    R [solved] Moving pictures importer wont add files from a removable drive. Is there a work around ? Moving Pictures 8
    badboyxx [solved] Moving Pictures and MediaPortal 1.23 Regeszter Edition Moving Pictures 93
    caveman [solved] Moving Picture 97% CPU Moving Pictures 9
    T Moving Pictures...seem to have 'lost' ability to display Movie info. (eg Resolution/Audio) Moving Pictures 2
    raffe [solved] Export tool and import support from MP-TVSeries & Moving Pictures to MP2 General 22
    M.Hulot Moving pictures startet nur im hintergrund und falscher version Allgemeines Supportforum 5
    T Neuinstalation - Moving Pictures probleme Installationsprobleme? 19
    S Problem wit .ISO files in Moving Pictures Moving Pictures 3
    olli14 Inhalt der Moving Pictures Datenbank in die Plex Datenbank kopieren MediaPortal Café 69
    T Moving Pictures Icon disappeared...and the program....??? Watch / Listen Media 1
    R [solved] Files moved to new location - Easy way to update database? My TVSeries 7
    R Files moved to different location - Easy way to update database? Moving Pictures 2
    ge2301 [Finished] [MP2-782] Show mouse cursor only if it was moved more than 10 pixels MediaPortal 2 13
    O Want to move 21:9 video down to the screen bottom Watch / Listen Media 1
    horned_reaper [solved] Mixed artist pictures Fanart Handler 397
    F Picture on folder Feature Requests 9
    emphatic Pictures in the cloud - would a plugin be possible for services like Google Photos MediaPortal 1 Plugins 1
    A Video clips do not work in the Pictures folder General Support 10
    N [Finished] [MP2-789] MCE remote control Recorded TV and My Pictures buttons do not work MediaPortal 2 17
    Cowboy Playback Problem with CTD or sometimes BSOD watch/edit Videos 0
    haaitje Pictures error .net framework MPTagThat 0
    volumia [solved] Q: thumbnail creation for Pictures plugin MediaPortal 1 Plugins 61