Moving Pictures Database change (1 Viewer)

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Hi all,

I have all my movies and tv stored on a NAS and have the share mapped as a drive letter. This has been working well, but I also want to use the AMPDROID plugin for Android, and it doesn't seem to work with mapped drive letters, only network address (e.g. \\SERVER\Videos\Movies).

Is there a way I can 'change' the location of my movies from Z:\movies to \\SERVER\movies without having to re-import all movies and keep all my customisations like artwork/genre etc? All my movies are stored under a folder called movies, followed by a folder with the genre type. I have a few hundred movies and don't want to reimport them all! If there is a config file or something where I can change references to Z:\ to \\Server\ that would be great.

dylmer

Portal Member
October 26, 2011
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
I'm not sure it is possible.. As soon as I remove a path it also removes the movies.. In the other hand I have a Ampdroid working with a network driveletter so I'm not sure that is the problem..

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm pretty sure you can add the new \\path, then at a later date remove the old Z:\ path

If you want to backup your videos database prior to doing that then it's
    Start -> All Programs -> Team Mediaportal -> Mediaportal -> User Files
    Then backup the database\VideoDatabaseV5.db3 file

PS. I've moved this thread into the Videos subforum

PPS. If your talking about the tvseries / moving pictures plugins then the same advice applies, I'd recommend you backup the database prior. I'm pretty sure both these plugins are smart enough to see the change.

Last edited:

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Moving Pictures will detect if a file has moved but both the old and the new import path must be in the list of Media Sources at the same time. You also may want to mark your old path as Replaced (this is hidden under the minus button on the Media Sources list). If the old path is marked Replaced the videos wont be removed from the database even if Moving Pictures thinks the files were deleted.

And yeah backup your database.

Last edited:

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Moving Pictures will detect if a file has moved but both the old and the new import path must be in the list of Media Sources at the same time.

I have exactly this case that I move my movies from one HDD to another and both paths are in the Media Sources. Moving Picture does not delete the movie from the database but my manually changed movie infos like sort order etc. are gone because it seems to be reimported into db.

Is there something I´m doing wrong? Has Moving Picturs to run while my movie ist copied or have I to do this while Setup is running or has the HTPC to be turned off as long as alle movies are copied to their new position?

Would be nice if I could move my movies in the background without losing manually changed movie infos.

Greetings

Sonny

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    Sorry I don't know what's going wrong for you. I just tested the functionality and everything worked perfectly, no changes to any sort by customizations or anything. So long as both locations are within an import path everything is transferred fine for me, whether Moving Pictures was running at the time or not. The only thing I can figure is maybe you removed the old import path before moving the files?

EDIT: Or maybe you are running a very old version of Moving Pictures?

Last edited:

sonnybonds

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The only thing I can figure is maybe you removed the old import path before moving the files?

EDIT: Or maybe you are running a very old version of Moving Pictures?

Thank you fforde for your quick response!

I use MediaPortal 1.2.3 and Moving Pictures 1.4x when I remeber correctly. I did not change any import part before I moved the files. However I will get my new HDD the next days and rearrange my files so I will have enough samples to test. I will report here when I have new solutions or findinds in that case.

Maybe ist has something to do with the graper Filminfo+? I noticed the following: When I move the movies and MP is started I see the "working"-icon in the middle of the screen and it stays there as long as it would do when I copy an enire new film to the import path. So I suppose the moved movie seems to be reimported new with datagrabbing from IMDB, just overwriting my manual changes, else why should it take so long?

Greetings Sonny

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    It would not have to do with the import script. That comes into play after the decision has been made to reimport the movie or not.

I am sorry though I am not sure what happened that caused the problem. I think your best bet if you want to save customizations is to try to revert to an older database where you have the proper data and things seem stable, then try the switch process again. Also consider marking the old import path as replaced (hidden under the minus button of the Media Sources list). This can sometimes help prevent reimporting as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom