Moving Pictures forcing resume from standby (1 Viewer)

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi ItsMe57,

No offense but you should probably start another thread for your question as I don't quite see the link between your skin issues and the standby/resume issue discussed in this thread...

/Peter

Ibeg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,

I have this really weird problem I hope you can help me shed some light on...

A couple of days ago I installed Moving Pictures for the first time. Awesome plugin to keep track of my movies :) But also the start of some unexpected issues...

/Peter

what are your network card energy settings? you can set 3 checkboxes, only the first should be checked.
    Sorry, don't know the english names for this.

give it a try

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Ibeg,

Thanks for the hint. I will check when I'm back home again in a few days.

/Peter

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I also use wake on lan extensively, but to avoid issues I have always set the wake up to allow mangement stations only.
    Locally the remote wakes it up for viewing. This is not network related.
    To wake up from a remote PC for scheduling etc, I use a free tool from Solarwinds..search for SolarWinds Wake-On-LAN!.

This will work fine if you do not have other networked MP clients wanting to wake up to access network files or TV Server.

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi again,

With the hints from ronsonol and Ibeg above I did some more tests. Again, my conslusions are only empirical (based on my observations) and they could be wrong...

I tried flipping the switches as suggested above and it changes the behavior:

1. With Moving Pictures disabled there is no change, and the system will never (?) resume automatically. Regardless of the power settings for my NIC.

2. With the NIC enabled for all network traffic it will autostart after a short while, iff Moving Pictures is enabled. With these settings I can also trigger resume from another PC with just a ping (as expected). If

3. With the NIC enabled AND using "Management Stations" (=use Magic packet) it will NOT resume automatically, even with Moving Pictures enabled. From another PC I have to send a magic Packet to make it resume (as expected).

So in conclusion (if any), it seems as Moving Pictures is still part of the equation but the effect can be prevented by using Magic Packets (which is not any major show-stopper, just an annoyance...).

Does anyone know how/if you can see what caused resume? I use WinXP HE. I know in Vista you can use "powercfg -lastwake" but I have not been able to find the equivalent for XP. It would be great to see what triggers the resume.

All for tonight. Got to get some rest now :D

/Peter

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi again,

I just discovered that using a magic packet to wake-up my HTPC was not as convenient as I thought... I have problems to get the magic packet through the router when sending it from an external source (PC or website). As long as I sent the magic packet from my local subnet it was OK but it seems to struggle when it is not local.

Since it is more important for me to be able to check and schedule recordings when I'm not at home, than to use Moving Pictures nice features for my movies, I will disable Moving Pictures for now and hopefully we can debug this later.

I'd be happy to provide any logs needed to track down this issue. Just let me know what information is needed and how I can collect it.

/Peter

I thought this may have something to do with the disc being networked but I made it local with no change. I will extend the standby time to 15 mins (have it set to 5 mins right now) to see if that makes any difference.

/Peter

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    With 15 mins timeout before standby it seems to work OK again. Could my short standby time be the problem?

/Peter

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    With 15 mins timeout before standby it seems to work OK again. Could my short standby time be the problem?

I would say it is not the problem, but triggers the actual issue / bug.

Is Moving Pictures using some scheduled task to start background work? Or any timer that is used to start the file scan? (some timers are able to wake up the whole PC, check TVE3 code for an example. Power Scheduler uses such to wake up the PC).

I would say that such bug that causes HTPC not to stay in S3/S4 state is a show stopper issue and should be fixed as soon as possible (i.e. in next available patch release).

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    There is an interesting (?) observation that I've made during my tests. If I set the standby delay to 1 min the HTPC will resume almost immediately with Moving Pictures enabled, but if I set the delay to 5 mins it will take 1-2 mins before it resumes. So when I set it to 15 mins I was thinking it may take even longer before resuming, but in fact it never resumed (automatically) which is the way I would expect it to work.

/Peter

petsa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2007
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I was wrong...!

After a reboot the same old behavior was back, i.e. the HTPC resuming shortly after it entered standby. As soon as I disabled Moving Pictures it was OK again :(

I got the idea it could have something to do with MST and the fact that I restart MP everytime it resumes from standby. But I disabled this feature and it made no difference. I'm back to square one, i.e. I have no clue what the problem can be :confused:

So it seems as:

- It has nothing to do with the delay before standby

- It has nothing to do with local vs networked disc

- It has nothing to do with MST, i.e. restarting MP

- It can only be fixed by setting Magic Packet as requirement for resume or disabling Moving Pictures

/Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom