[solved] Moving pictures importer wont add files from a removable drive. Is there a work around ? (1 Viewer)

Russ_T_

Portal Member
February 22, 2010
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi

It seems that moving pictures importer wont add files from a removable drive
I have a MS Surface tablet, with a 128gb MicroSD card in it with lots of movies on it.
Mapped to drive M:

When I add any of the folders from drive M to the media sources in Moving pictures config, it quickly scans them but doesn't add any of the movies.
If I copy the exact same folders to the C: drive and point to that in Moving pictures, it finds them and adds them as movies

I think this is because the M: drive is removable, and Moving Pictures doesn't like it:
When looking at the "Movie Importer" tab:
- The M: drive "Media source" in Moving pictures has a tooltip on it "Drive type: Removable (removable), Online True"
- The C: drive "Media source" in Moving pictures has a tooltip on it "Drive type: Fixed"

I'm never going to remove the MicroSD card, and I have run out of room on my C drive to add the movies there.

Does anyone know of a way to get Moving Pictures to add the files when they are on the MicroSD card ?
or fool it into thinking that the MicroSD card is actually a fixed drive type ( I tried lots of things and googled it for ages )

Also does anyone know where the Moving Pictures Help has gone to. If I click on the "User's Manual" hypertext from the About tab, it takes me to here: http://www.moving-pictures.tv/ which says the site cant be reached. Other similar links seem broken

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Russ

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The hosting/domain has expired a while ago, and when Google killed off their Google Code not all projects got converted over nicely into GitHub.

Thankfully there is the Web Archive, so one of the copies you can use == Moving Pictures

Regarding your issue, switch to debug mode, and provide logs, as they will reveal the technical reasons why things are failing so that a proper solution can be provided. Right now it is just throwing out random suggestions hoping that something will work, because I never encountered what you are struggling with so i cannot assist without more info.

Russ_T_

Portal Member
    February 22, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great Thanks I will see if I can get some logs to you soon (once I have figured out how to do it ;-)

Russ_T_

Portal Member
    February 22, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are the log file RoChess.

Watchdog opens MP, but from there I couldn't get to the Moving Pictures UI, to test the workflow
    So I have sent the general logs, plus the log files I found from the MP Configuration screen

Hope this helps

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_28_08_19__10_44.zip
      135.4 KB
    • MP Configuration log files.zip
      13.2 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @Russ_T_ try it again with Moving-Pictures in scraper-debug mode, because it is the import that fails.

Open MediaPortal configuration and select the 'General' menu entry. Verify or adjust that "Log verbosity" is set to 'Debug'. Close MediaPortal configuration via the 'OK' button.

Now launch Moving-Pictures configuration with the shortcut on your desktop (or start menu) or go back to MediaPortal config to use the plugin section.

(Please verify that Moving-Pictures v1.8.2 or above is in use via the "About" tab for optimized log results)
    • Go to the "Importer Settings" tab
    • Adjust the radio button to "Manually Manage" the data source scrapers
    • Use the "Movie Details Data Sources" button to open new dialog
    • Then use the gear icon to select the spider icon
    This has now activated scraper-debug logging.

Then clear moving-pictures.log, and repeat trying to import movies from your M: drive.

ZIP up log, and attach.

Russ_T_

Portal Member
    February 22, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks RoChess for the detailed instructions. Very helpful :)

I have done as instructed and attached the new log files.

Thanks heaps for your help

Regards
    Russ

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_29_08_19__07_16.zip
      172.4 KB
    • MP Config Log Files.zip
      100.6 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The logs clearly show they it is cancelling, because the M: drive does not report back a serial number that is expected on local drives.

• 29-Aug-2019 07:11:17 Debug [ DBImportPath]: Scanning: M:\Movies and Videos\To Take on Holiday\Keri and Russ
    • 29-Aug-2019 07:11:17 Debug [ DBImportPath]: Drive='M:', Label='MicroSD128', Serial='', Format='exFAT'
    • 29-Aug-2019 07:11:20 Error [ DBImportPath]: Canceled scan for 'M:\Movies and Videos\To Take on Holiday\Keri and Russ': Could not get required volume information.
    • 29-Aug-2019 07:11:20 Debug [ DBImportPath]: Scanning: M:\Russ
    • 29-Aug-2019 07:11:20 Debug [ DBImportPath]: Drive='M:', Label='MicroSD128', Serial='', Format='exFAT'
    • 29-Aug-2019 07:11:23 Error [ DBImportPath]: Canceled scan for 'M:\Russ': Could not get required volume information.

If you open up an administrative PowerShell window and run "get-disk" you will see the column "Serial number" and that is clearly not working for your M: drive.

There might be ways to fix that, but my suggestion is that you solve it a different way by right-clicking the M: drive and share the drive as "MDrive" or whatever you prefer to name it, and then add "\\MDrive\Russ" (and the other one) as UNC import paths to Moving-Pictures. Network shares are without volume serial numbers, so that should work then.

PS: Be sure to give appropriate read/write permission to the share on the user that runs Moving-Pictures plugin.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Glad it worked.

Please edit thread title to show [solved] (should be icon or option somewhere for you), that way this thread will be clearly marked for others who might run into the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom