Moving Pictures Movie Importer backend sluggish - can this be fixed by me? (1 Viewer)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Whenever I go into the back end for Moving Pictures, it almost immediately hangs on the Movie Importer tab. If I want to go into the GUI settings, I have to click on the tab a few times (meanwhile, the window shows "(Not Responding)") and after 30 seconds or so, I can finally make the changes I want, but just going into the Movie Importer means I have to wait for several minutes or closer to an hour at some times. This is ridiculous, of course, I begin to think that my database is corrupt, but I just don't want to re-import all of the 1000+ movies including manual changes again, so I tend to just revert to a previous backup I've made.

At the moment, I am trying to remove all of the Media Sources, as I mainly use two of them now for adding new media. Will this work, or will it remove movies from my database that reside in these folders? Does anyone else recognize this issue and if so, were you able to fix it yourself?

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Whenever I go into the back end for Moving Pictures, it almost immediately hangs on the Movie Importer tab. If I want to go into the GUI settings, I have to click on the tab a few times (meanwhile, the window shows "(Not Responding)") and after 30 seconds or so, I can finally make the changes I want, but just going into the Movie Importer means I have to wait for several minutes or closer to an hour at some times. This is ridiculous, of course, I begin to think that my database is corrupt, but I just don't want to re-import all of the 1000+ movies including manual changes again, so I tend to just revert to a previous backup I've made.

At the moment, I am trying to remove all of the Media Sources, as I mainly use two of them now for adding new media. Will this work, or will it remove movies from my database that reside in these folders? Does anyone else recognize this issue and if so, were you able to fix it yourself?
    If you just remove the Media Sources you will lose the movies.

First copy the movies from the Media Source you want to remove to the Media Source you want to use now.
    Then you can tell the importer that you are moving the movies to a new location by highlighting the Media Sources you are moving movies out of and clicking the little arrow next to the minus that removes the Media Sources and click "toggled replaced" close configuration to save settings.

On the next scan the movie importer will find the movies in the new location, and then you can remove the old Media Source from the movie importer and then you can delete the old Media Source.

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE OLD MEDIA SOURCE FROM THE MOVIE IMPORTER UNTIL THE MOVIE INPORTER HAS SCANED FOR NEW MOVIES, THIS CAN TAKE A WHILE.

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks, I noticed because Moving Pictures warned me as I tried to remove a share. My biggest drive is SSD and I try to use that for movies as I want to avoid Moving Pictures being bogged down by a slow drive if I can help it. What else can I do to avail the situation, would it help to have sub category folders rather than having hundreds of folders in a single level?

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks, I noticed because Moving Pictures warned me as I tried to remove a share. My biggest drive is SSD and I try to use that for movies as I want to avoid Moving Pictures being bogged down by a slow drive if I can help it. What else can I do to avail the situation, would it help to have sub category folders rather than having hundreds of folders in a single level?
    I really don't understand why you are having the speed / freezing issue, I have over 2000 movies all in their own folders on 1 large regular 5400 rpm spinning hard drives with no issue.
    If it was me I think I would look at possible read errors maybe replace the SATA cable and check for errors on the drive.
    Just a guess..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom