[Rejected] MovingPictures alike (1 Viewer)

krebbi

Portal Member
November 7, 2013
Freiburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
It would be really great to have a backend similar to the on from MovingPictures to edit the entries fast and precise.
Getting a wrong or not identified movie into the DB is quite a pain in the ....
Or how to get a complete unrecognized Series into the DB is an unsolved riddle to me.

I love the speed improvements of MP2, but the usability has really gone backwards. But the WAF is the most important thing in the living room. ;-)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be really great to have a backend similar to the on from MovingPictures to edit the entries fast and precise.
    Getting a wrong or not identified movie into the DB is quite a pain in the ....
    Or how to get a complete unrecognized Series into the DB is an unsolved riddle to me.

I love the speed improvements of MP2, but the usability has really gone backwards. But the WAF is the most important thing in the living room. ;-)
    Such plugin is not available for MP2 and will be also not, as simply not needed. MP2 recognizes the media items very well and since version 2.2 you can even correct items in the client directly. I would call that even better usability in regard of detection and correction. Please check the release notes and wiki for more details or try out the new version.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's all about correctly naming the files. The Wiki explains this in detail. On my own system all my media items are directly read in without errors.

If you would like help, please provide further info, e.g. examples of wrong recignitions.

krebbi

Portal Member
    November 7, 2013
    Freiburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Such plugin is not available for MP2 and will be also not, as simply not needed. MP2 recognizes the media items very well and since version 2.2 you can even correct items in the client directly. I would call that even better usability in regard of detection and correction. Please check the release notes and wiki for more details or try out the new version.

Because it works so fantastic and even better than MP1 I opened this thread.

No. It doesn't.

Examples:
    Having all Star Wars Movies on the NAS or all Indiana Jones, Despicable Me, or whatever Franchise you take, the Movies are not next to each other in the list.
    Also the Marvel Movies. In MP1 I ordered them in the correct timeline sequence. Now they are scattered all over the place.
    For some Movies there is no Preview Image. A lot of Series don't have a Poster in the list.
    For some Series it recognizes only a few episodes and the rest stays in videos.
    All Movies with "720p", "1080p", "3D", "SBS", etc., in the filename are not identified correctly.
    Most of the Movies are scraped in english.

With MovingPictures I haven't had those issues.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the Movies are not next to each other in the list.
    Also the Marvel Movies. In MP1 I ordered them in the correct timeline sequence. Now they are scattered all over the place.
    For that we have filters and sorting. Default setting is sorting by name. If you change that you can achieve the view you want.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the Movies are not next to each other in the list.
    Switch to "Collection" (Filmreihe in German).

Also, as just mentioned by @ge2301, use "Sorting" to change the view. On a fresh start there is nothing defined yet and you need to make some selections to get what you want.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    All Movies with "720p", "1080p", "3D", "SBS", etc., in the filename are not identified correctly.
    File name conventions are explained in detail in the Wiki.

There has been a lot of additional features added in MP 2.2, so you may want to upgrade to 2.2pre (or wait for the Final that will be released not too far out in the future). With reference to the version you may want to fill out your System Spec info in your profile and switch it to visible so that we can see which version you are actually using.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Having all Star Wars Movies on the NAS or all Indiana Jones, Despicable Me, or whatever Franchise you take, the Movies are not next to each other in the list.
    Here they definitely are (and always was ever since support for the sorttitle tag was build into MP2 some years ago) as I'm using the "sort by sorttitle" filter instead "sort by title" as you did. This is exactly as in Moving Pictures. If you don't use the "sorttitle" tag there then you also will have those movies cluttered all over the place.....

Also the Marvel Movies.
    Here the "official" grouping on TMDB is not like all Marvel movies in one group. You have the "Iron Man" movies grouped together, the "Captain America" Movies grouped together, the "Avengers" Movies grouped together, ... If you want them all grouped in one group, you need to correct this by hand. Similar is for Star Trek movies as example. But you need to "fix" this by hand in MovingPictures too, if you want this to be changed.

In which way? Are they not scrapped as movies or are they scrapped with different media infos than you may expect? The first is a file naming issue as a movie "Avatar SBS 3D 1080p DTSHD-MA AVC" is not existing on IMDB or TMDB. If you need all those extra things (for me this only is garbage and I'm removing this asap) you need to add the IMDB- ID (tt number) to the filename somehow. Similar like "Avatar (tt0499549) SBS 3D 1080p DTSHD-MA AVC.mp4" or so..

The media info themselves are directly read from the video file so it did not matter at all, what you add to the naming. If you append 1080p to a 720p video filename it still is recognized as 720p..

Most of the Movies are scraped in english.
    This only happen if you set up MP2 language preferences wrong or if there is no German description available on TMDB (IMDB never has localized descriptions). English always is used as "Fallback", no matter what your settings are... That's why some descriptions only appear in English.

For some Series it recognizes only a few episodes and the rest stays in videos.
    Moving pictures didn't recognize a single series episode at all... If a series episode is not properly recognized then it can have 3 reasons. Reason 1 you didn't name the episode as you should. Reason 2 this episode is not yet available on TVDB or TMDB. 3. Reason TVDB was down at the time you've tried to scrap the episode (sadly this happens very often) or your internet had a hickup or similar.

How to name video files properly is described in the Wiki, if you are not sure how you should name your files...

If you really prefer an external GUI for this you better use tools like tinyMediaManager or Media-Buddy or similar which are making a great GUI for media maintenance, even much better than MovingPictures settings. Opposite to MP1 you even can use them in MP2 for series too, not only for movies... The big advantage of those tool is, you only need to do the (sorting, scrapping and maintaining) work one time only and can use it in whatever HTPC program you may use today or tomorrow, excerpt for MP1 TVSeries. It's the only Plugin/Addon/Module out there that did not support local metadata at all. Very poor and very nasty. The terrible and very limited TVSeries plugin (limited to online data from TVDB only, limited to 2 episodes in one file maximum,...) and a missing alternative in MP1 was one of the main reasons (if not "the main reason") why I abandoned MP1 as early as possible many years ago instantly after series support was added to MP2 alpha...

krebbi

Portal Member
    November 7, 2013
    Freiburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Switch to "Collection" (Filmreihe in German).

Also, as just mentioned by @ge2301, use "Sorting" to change the view. On a fresh start there is nothing defined yet and you need to make some selections to get what you want.

I'm running 2.2pre.

These filename conventions are a step backwards compared to MP1. Why can't the Importer RegEx those typical pattern out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom