MovingPictures crashes regularly when using network location (1 Viewer)

Danny Rego

Portal Member
April 17, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
I have a problem with MovingPictures that I would appreciate some help with. Basically, when I add my movie folders from my NAS of "\\stompbox\Multimedia\Movies" or "\\stompbox\Multimedia (kids)\Movies", both "Moving Pictures Configuration" and "MediaPortal" crash pretty hard.

In "MediaPortal.log", I see the following exception...

[2016-03-06 16:17:00,754] [Log ] [10 ] [ERROR] - Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.MatchPattern(String relativePath)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.NotifyFileSystemEventArgs(Int32 action, String name)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.CompletionStatusChanged(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* overlappedPointer)
at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.IOCompletionCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP) Message: Illegal characters in path. Site : Void CheckInvalidPathChars(System.String, Boolean) Source : mscorlib Stack Trace: at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
at System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.MatchPattern(String relativePath)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.NotifyFileSystemEventArgs(Int32 action, String name)
at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher.CompletionStatusChanged(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* overlappedPointer)
at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.IOCompletionCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

...but I cannot figure out what the "illegal characters" might be!? I thought it was the SPACES and BRACKETS in "\\stompbox\Multimedia (kids)\Movies", so I tried just "\\stompbox\Multimedia\Movies" and the same thing happened.

Is there a way to turn on more verbose logging for MOVINGPICTURES so I can at least see what the path is that it is choking on???[DOUBLEPOST=1457301595][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah...one more thing. I already have the log verbosity in the mediaportal configuration set to DEBUG (I assume that means it will log all levels of messages!?)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The only way to sometimes fix a problem, or offer a solution is to know all the steps that lead up to the actual issue, and ideally be able to reproduce it that way.

Showing just the final error is not always enough.

So clear out your log files, recreate the issue, and then provide a ZIP file of *ALL* your log files.

There is even a build in method for MediaPortal to do that for you, so examine the shortcuts MediaPortal created for you or read the wiki.

Danny Rego

Portal Member
    April 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Here is the last 4 crash logs. I just noticed something else peculiar. There seems to be a pattern as to WHEN this crashing happens. Look at the times on the logs. I wonder if I have a task running either on my PC or on my NAS every 15 minutes that is somehow triggering this?!

Danny Rego

Portal Member
    April 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Holy crap!!! It looks like it has something to do with a job I have running on my nas to ensure permissions on my media folders. I stopped that job from running, and the crashes seem to have stopped. I guess i will wait and see for a bit, as i have thought things were fixed before as well...stay tuned...

Danny Rego

Portal Member
    April 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    So, somehow, my job that runs to "chown/chmod" my media dirs causes the crashing. Now, what I would like to know is what movingpictures is doing that this would matter so badly??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom