MP 0.2.0rc2 can't detect switch in audio streams (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Area: Media Portal Program
MP Version: 0.2.0 RC2
Skin: Blue two 16:9
Windows Version: XP MCE2005 Sp2
CPU Type: Intel P4 3.2GHz HT
Memory: 1024 Mb DDR dual in line
Motherboard Chipset: Asus P5GD1
Video Card: Nvidia Gforce 6600GT
Video Card Driver: Forceware Version: 72.14
Video Render Type: VMR9
Video Codec Type & Version: Nvidia pure video decoder 1.02-150

TV Card: Hauppauge Win TV Nova DVB-T and Leadtek Winfast PVR2000
TV Card Type: Hardware & DVB-T
TV Card Driver: Hauppauge ver 2.104.22345.0 & Winfast ver. 5.13.22.6104
Optional Log: parts of the "/log/MediaPortal.log" which show an issue
Optional References: any reference

Synopsis:

I'm not sure if this is to be considered a bug or if there is a setting or workaround that might help. However I did not have this problem in ver. 0.1.3.
Since I started using 0.2.0 RC2 I have a problem when one of my tv-stations switches from national network broadcast to local news.
The channel then turns silent. I suspect that this is because it stops broadcasting AC3-audio and starts using ordinary (MPEG2?) audio. Could it be that MP cannot change audio "on the fly" when AC3 disappears?
Also - I cannot change to another audio track using the right-mouse-menu. This does not seem to be working.
Anyone?

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
If you look around a little it seems that quite a few people are having trouble with empty AC3 streams. Perhaps the suggestion to automatically detect empty audio streams and switch to an active audio stream should be investigated, though I have no idea how hard this would be to implement.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
I hear you can manually override it in the configuration (Uncheck Prefer/Use Ac3 or similar) but this will might cause its own problems in your case (perhaps never getting AC3). There is no really great solution at this point though, that I know of.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Us poor Aussies are stuck with dodgy AC3 that doesn't work in MP.
    What we have to do is remove the number from the AC3 PID in the channel config.

Of course the downside of this is that you lose AC3 but at least you can hear the news.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Marcusb said:

Of course the downside of this is that you lose AC3 but at least you can hear the news.

I recorded a SDTV show which had AC3 in it tonight, so theres no problem here. Unless you mean HDTV? (havent tested that)

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Marcusb said:

Intriguing. I am in Melbourne and planning on picking up a tuner card soon (Dvico Dual Digital) and I haven't heard this is a big problem. I have a HDTV set-top box and I haven't noticed HD channels having no AC3 stream. Is this a big problem?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I don't use AC3 any more, so the issue may have been fixed by now.

Your ST box probably works fine. Lots of other things do. It seems that there is something unique about our set up that doesn't work properly with MP though. There are a few other members who are Aus based and they have been working hard with the devs to get AC3 supported. Hopefully they can provide some more information.

(Callifo and Taipan, you guys around?)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Yeh I am, as I said above AC3 seemed to work in MP fine for me. Tested it in the latest cvs while taping 2 shows at the same time.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Thanks for the information.

I do think that some sort of automatic detection/switching system would be ideal for these problems in general.

Edit: Especially for recording, where a manual switch isn't really feasible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom