MP 1.1.2 - Windows XP to Windows 7 migration (1 Viewer)

dmcaloney

Portal Member
October 5, 2011
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
Looking for some advice please. Have been running MP 1.1.2 on an XP machine for over a year now. Works great, however the movies were on external USB drives connected to another machine (networked using homehubs).

These external USB's were prone to problems, so decided to install an HP Microserver and copy the movies from the external USB drives over to these server drives (obviously slightly different setup).

My problem is that the HCPC running XP is having difficulties connecting to the networked server so I was considering wiping the machine, installing windows 7 and re-installing MP 1.1.2.I figure then that networking issues will go away if all 3 machines are running Win7.

I have lots of movies on there 1000+ some of which were manually edited in MovingPictures to correct covers etc, as well as lots of TV series, so obviously I would like the new installation to avoid having to start from scratch. Can I simply copy the MP databases before I wipe the machine and paste them onto the new machine after MP 1.1.2 is installed? Or am I being too simplistic?

Many thanks in advance.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Dm.

Yes you can copy the files in DB [I always do clean install, reinstall the plugins, run once in config mode, then install the DB contents] AND [big AND deliberately] copy the thumbs DIR - your database references the images, so nice to have them, downloading them takes a fair while.

The DOWN side here, is your DB is based on your existing file paths - so for it to work, your new set up MUST retain the same UNC <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)> paths, if not, the DB will be useless as it's pointing to files in the wrong place.

Depending on your set up & understanding, it is possible to manually edit the paths [I'd user sqlite3] within the DB itself, but you do need to understand a little SQL command line and the DB structure to do this effectively - as long as you retain a reference copy of DB, yes, you can break it, but restore is just a copy away.

Also - 1.1.2 - should have no impact on video DB, suggest a move to 1.3 Final [as fully supports XP].

Cheers - JCMP.

dmcaloney

Portal Member
    October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Thanks JCMP, been having a play and I guessed as much re the drives.

I have a basic knowledge and have used SQLite before so may try this direct DB tweak.My undrestanding is that there is one table that defines the path and allocates a specific number to this. Then the other tables simply refernce this number rather than the full path, so I am hoping (maybe naively) that the edits may be kept to a minimum.

I have definitely decided to wipe PC and install Win7 as I am having serious networking issues with XP. As I have loads of films etc, a simple re-import would be messy without this database editing. I think I am going to endure some pain, but I am trying to minimise this. I have backed up all of my TeamMediPortal folder from the XP installation, and will probably reinstall 1.1.2 again, simply because I have implemented some tweaks so an upgrade would lose these, so hopefully the backed up files can be dropped into the new installation as you said.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom