MP 1.13 Hangs when accessing TV Server Remotely (1 Viewer)

W4ATL

Portal Member
September 8, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
My main Home Theater PC is running the TV Server. Accessing the TV Server (TV, Recordings, etc.) works well when accessing it from the local Home Theater PC. However, when I try to access it remotely from another PC in the network, there is a 4 minute delay between the time hit the TV menu button and the time the next menu for TV, Recordings, etc. is shown. Why is there such a huge delay? The network seems to be working fine as I can access the remote folders and ping the computers with no delay.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi :)

Why is there such a huge delay?
    After looking at the log file, there are two possibilities that come to mind.

The first is that the problem is related to network connectivity, and more specifically IPv6. We've previously seen reports of random long delays that go away when IPv6 is disabled. So, my first suggestion to you would be: try disabling IPv6. A quick internet search can tell you how to do that. Here's the first result that came up for me.

Second, the log file shows:
    [2016-07-31 06:02:53,894] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - ChannelNavigator: ctor()
    [2016-07-31 06:06:32,136] [Error ] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - Unable to create/modify gentle.config The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\gentle.config' because it is being used by another process., at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Save(String filename)
    at TvPlugin.ChannelNavigator.SetupDatabaseConnection()

So, it's possible that the delay is related to the inability to create or modify the gentle.config file (which contains your database connection configuration). I would have no idea why gentle.config would be unmodifiable.

Despite your insistence that your network is working fine, to me the first explanation/solution seems much more likely than the second. So, please try disabling IPv6 first, and we can look at other possibilities if that doesn't help.

W4ATL

Portal Member
    September 8, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi :)

Why is there such a huge delay?
    So, please try disabling IPv6 first, and we can look at other possibilities if that doesn't help.

I started thinking about the IPv6 and realized that AT&T upgraded my uVerse modem. I went in and found IPv6 in the modem enabled so I did the easy thing first and disabled it on the modem. And behold, the remote TV clients started connecting fast without the 4 minute delay. I'm not sure why it would be a problem, especially since I could browse the server's files while waiting for the TV client to connect to the server, but Mediaportal is happy. I will inform if this didn't provide a permanent fix and the problem returns.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom