MP 1.13 randomly crashing (1 Viewer)

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
July 14, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi guys

I was watching a David Gray concert DVD I had ripped to my HDD which I have had no trouble playing in the past.

When I pressed stop the screen froze the sound stuttered continuously and the mp stopped working popup appeared!

This has happened a few times since upgrading to 1.3

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks Glen :)

Given that the log files reference refresh rate changing at or about the time of the crash...
    Have you made any changes to your refresh rate changer settings recently?
    What happens if you [temporarily] disable refresh rate changing?

I'm also conscious that this PC is running an NVidia GPU, and as you're aware there have been problems with NVidia GPU drivers recently. Given that refresh rate changing is very much a GPU-oriented function...
    Would it be possible to revert to the previous stable driver (358.40???) and see if it makes any difference?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

You logs show two things:
    [2016-01-03 17:00:24,412] [Log ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    This could be due to faulty hardware, hence a check with a memory test software could be interesting. See for example http://www.cnet.com/how-to/test-your-ram-with-windows-memory-diagnostic-tool/

The event log shows an error entry for the MPEG2 video codec
    Faulting application name: MediaPortal.exe, version: 1.13.0.0, time stamp: 0x566fbdc5 Faulting module name: Mpeg2DecFilter.ax_unloaded, version: 1.5.3.3514, time stamp: 0x4e34588d Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00011770 Faulting process id: 0x934 Faulting application start time: 0x01d145daf8fad923 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe Faulting module path: Mpeg2DecFilter.ax Report Id: 84d57d5c-3ef3-4555-b9b0-83c6593455fb Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

All this could indeed be due to the video driver. DId you update to Nvidia's most recent driver release?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From a wider perspective, acknowledging that my assessment of the situation could be wrong...
    Aside from updating to MP 1.13, have you applied any other changes to this PC recently? (MP configuration changes, patches, Windows updates, driver updates, new programs installed...)
    Had you installed any patches on MP 1.12 (or whatever MP version you were previously using) that weren't included in MP 1.13? (These would need to be re-applied for MP 1.13.)
    Is it possible to run with some or all plugins temporarily disabled - ideally all, using Watchdog option 1 - and see if you are still able to reproduce the problem? (It would be helpful to definitely eliminate plugins as a potential cause.)

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi mm

No changes to MP config, windows updates... probably, I am running W10 and we all know how MS has forced updates on us, no new programs installed and no patches installed on MP1.2

As far as running MP without plugins that will have to wait until the weekend as I have just gone back to work after the holidays and it will be busy as all hell.:(

I will also do what HTPCSourcer suggested and run a mem test as well.(y)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What about my earlier suggestions: disabling refresh rate changing and reverting to the earlier GPU driver? Not possible?

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I will do that on the weekend as well,,, being a customer service manager in an electrical retail store really sucks at this time of year:mad:

Remoteglen

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi mm

Well I disabled the refresh rate changer and I also added the Core.dll V3 from the other thread on MP 1.3 crashing and everything appears to have settled down;)

I will keep you posted if anything changes but for now it all seems ok.

Thanks again for your input on this mate, it is greatly appreciated(y)

Regards

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom