Mp 1.2.3 & win8 (2 Viewers)

Bracco

Portal Member
December 27, 2005
hey everybody, i'm messing around with windows 8 for my htpc build (i don't like it but the upgrade is dirt cheap now and mp2 won't support winxp sooo...) and i see MP has quite some issues with it.

before i go any further i want to say that i read everyting about it on the forums and *i know* it's not officially supported and is (probably) being looked at, but still, i think it would be worth asking as i didn't find anybody else with my specific problem so here we go.

i installed MP 1.2.3 bypassing the "global" installer and checking the win7 compatibility, no issues so far. MP seems to work, tvserver does not. i tried MP 1.3.0 beta but the new tvserver doesn't get fooled by compatibility mode and just refuses to start, fair enough.

i tried to troubleshoot the problems with 1.2.3 tvserver, here's what's in the error.log:

Code:
2012-12-15 23.13.21.079722 [TVService(6)]: Exception  :System.DllNotFoundException: Impossibile caricare la DLL 'StreamingServer.dll': Impossibile trovare il modulo specificato. (Eccezione da HRESULT: 0x8007007E).
  in TvLibrary.Streaming.RtspStreaming.StreamSetupEx(String ipAdress, Int32 port)
  in TvLibrary.Streaming.RtspStreaming..ctor(String hostName, Int32 port)

2012-12-15 23.13.48.661084 [(5)]: Exception  :System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Recupero della class factory COM per il componente con CLSID {FC50BED6-FE38-42D3-B831-771690091A6E} non riuscito a causa del seguente errore: 80040154.
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.AllocateUninitializedObject(RuntimeType objectType)
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.AllocateUninitializedObject(Type objectType)
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.CreateInstance(Type serverType)
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.IsCurrentContextOK(Type serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj)
  in TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.AddTsWriterFilterToGraph()
  in TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.BuildGraph()

2012-12-15 23.13.48.856112 [(5)]: Exception  :TvLibrary.TvExceptionGraphBuildingFailed: Graph building failed ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Recupero della class factory COM per il componente con CLSID {FC50BED6-FE38-42D3-B831-771690091A6E} non riuscito a causa del seguente errore: 80040154.
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.AllocateUninitializedObject(RuntimeType objectType)
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingServices.AllocateUninitializedObject(Type objectType)
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.CreateInstance(Type serverType)
  in System.Runtime.Remoting.Activation.ActivationServices.IsCurrentContextOK(Type serverType, Object[] props, Boolean bNewObj)
  in TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.AddTsWriterFilterToGraph()
  --- Fine dell'analisi dello stack dell'eccezione interna ---
  in TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.BeforeTune(IChannel channel, Int32& subChannelId)
  in TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.Scan(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel)

it seems there are 2 problems:

-tvserver can't load successfully the StreamingServer.dll, which is there by the way (even tried copying it around the windows directories but with no luck)

-tvserver can't find some filters needed for it to work.

i then thought it might be something missing from windows 8 stock install since it doesn't come with WMC so i installed WMC but nothing changed.

after some more research i think i figured that the COM the tvserver is trying to open is a tvserver filter, so i went ahead and tried to register it by hand using regsvr32, but it refuses to do so, saying that "it can't load the file"

this is quite puzzling to me since it seems that windows does not like MP's filters/dlls for some reason... am i right? is there any workaround?

btw i am using Win8 pro x86[DOUBLEPOST=1355610754][/DOUBLEPOST]forgot to mention that tvserver does start, configuration starts and the COM exception is thrown when scanning for channels... (which, ofc, finds nothing)

Last edited:

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Jean, did you read what Bracco wrote?
    "i tried MP 1.3.0 beta but the new tvserver doesn't get fooled by compatibility mode and just refuses to start, fair enough."

Last edited:

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Bracco: Normally the TV server should work well on Win 8, all without compatibility settings ;)
    There are sufficient users confirmed 1.3.0 Beta works fine on Windows 8 ;)

Bracco

Portal Member
    December 27, 2005
    thanks for the replies... well, that's weird. i'll give 1.3.0 beta another try and come back with the results

jehe

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Bracco,
    If it not works for you post your logs, and someone will try to help you.
    Jean

Last edited:

Bracco

Portal Member
    December 27, 2005
    ok so i tried 1.3.0 beta again, this time tvserver (or setuptv should i say...) runs... (weird, yesterday it just "died" after the compatibility warning) but exhibits the very same behaviour as 1.2.3, same exceptions, no channels found...

logs attached... weird how in the tv.log it says tvservice is starting in win7 compatibility when it actually isn't set

Last edited:

Bracco

Portal Member
    December 27, 2005
    update: tried on win8 x64 and got the same errors

Bracco

Portal Member
    December 27, 2005
    i think i solved it myself

i nailed it down to the .ax filters not being registered, after some search & debug i figured out the filters are compiled with vs c++ 2010, so i installed the runtime and they registered... now tvserver finds the channels

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom