1.24.0 MP 1.24 high CPU utilization when 'Keep MediaPortal always on top' option enabled (1 Viewer)

Hazza06

Portal Member
February 14, 2019
Home Country
Australia Australia
MP1 Version
Hello MP team,

I've been using MP since 1.21.

I recently updated my Windows 7 system to MP final 1.24, and am experiencing a new issue, where MP consuming a high amount of CPU ( approx constant 30+% CPU utilization observed when pressing shift+1 during video playback ) when playing video and when the 'Keep MediaPortal always on top' option is enabled.

MP_issue_1.png

My Windows 7 is completely up to date, and running LAV filters 0.74.1, and using dxva2 ( native ) hardware decoder.

The strange part is, when i disable 'Keep MediaPortal always on top' option, the issue is never observed, and CPU utilization is at a more reasonable constant 7 - 8% utilization during video playback. I went to disable this option, so that i could run sysinternals process explorer to further dig into which MP component / library is consuming high amount of CPU.

For now as a workaround, i'm leaving 'Keep MediaPortal always on top' option as disabled.

Any ideas?

Best Regards,

-

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    Can you do it again with debug level set and use watchdog tool with first option :) ?
    Thanks.

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes i will reproduce and gather debug level.

I suspect the issue is related to dwm.exe service....

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    UPDATE: i spent a small amount of time to re-produce the issue, collected the debug level logs, but then also reproduced the issue again this time with 'Keep MediaPortal always on top' option as disabled, and was able to bring sysinternals to foreground which showed media portal CPU utilization still low ( at around 4 to 5 % ) during video playback, sysinternals highlighted the CPU cycles consumed in interrupts.

Really strange this one, the issue only ever occurs after a system resume from ACPI S3 sleep, and i've never had CPU cycles spent in interrupts before on this HTPC system, and i've been very careful about device driver updates.

A dpc latency tool running during the CPU utilization in interrupts issue, shows latency to be rock solid low, like 40 to 50 mirco seconds....

I'll start disabling device x device until i find the culprit.

Hazza06

Portal Member
    February 14, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    found the cause of high cpu utilization in interrupts, after resuming from ACPI S3 sleep state, to be the WOL be enabled on Realtek ethernet adapter.

i updated the Realtek drivers to latest but made no change, have disabled WOL, and issue now resolved....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom