[News] MP 1.3.0 Beta - The Titan is coming! (3 Viewers)

raffe

Portal Pro
March 28, 2008
I would like to ask about Moving Pictures plugin vs build in My Videos. A long time ago I started to use Moving Pictures, don't really remember why, but I think it was better at getting info about the movies at that time.

1. But how is it today? What are the pros and cons with Moving Pictures and My Videos in 1.3?
2. And I'm also using My TVseries plugin, is there now a build in version of that in 1.3?

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You also have myfilms as an alternative for movies, but to be honest, with MovingPictures and imdb+ combined, myvideos would have to be very special indeed to make me want to move.
    TVSeries has no alternative but I've never really had an issue with it. If you setup file names correctly, I find it near autonomous anyway.
    I thought MP was supposed to be going modular anyway so that everything was a plugin and not part of the core?

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I prefer My Videos because I like having things in one piece and I don't know why My Videos in mp 1.3 would'nt be as good as Moving Pictures,
    but there's personal opinion in it - no question.
    I also understood the new mp system with having a plugin structure rather than core featurers but even then:
    isn't it more senseful to have only one plugin for all video data?

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Definately, just dont understand where the benefit is in people developing whats essentially the same thing but like in competition with one another? Seems a waste of resource. But then I suppose you could argue that for skins too, but like you say, its the personal taste element I suppose. People like choice lol.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For me, MovingPictures is better, especially since IMDb+ came around. That scraper just works and everything looks great without much work at all. When I can have Swedish scraping results and custom filtering directly in My Videos, then I might consider moving to it, but for now I use both. MovingPictures for feature films, and My Videos for home videos and the stuff my children likes.

Emph

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    You cannot configure MovingPictures in the GUI, MyVideo's now can, so chances are a lot more newcomers to MP will use that, and lets call a spade a spade, they look so similar now in general use, I forget which one I'm in ;)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    In fairness, I havent actually tried myvideos (but I do have the alpha installed).

Its such a big job to start setting anything else new up, its nice to just 'use' MePo and enjoy it without having to constantly mess around with it for a little while :) maybe later ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1355163033][/DOUBLEPOST]Regarding in app configuration, its nice and all and a welcome feature.. But you have to ask when you are touting it as a big improvement, then maybe its more because MePo takes too much configging in the first place and this is just making it a little less painful!
    The thought of having to setup a fresh install of TVServer without exported channels literally frightens me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom