MP 1.3.0 RC - BluRay native support only when paired with AnyDVD HD? (2 Viewers)

Gilean

Portal Member
January 28, 2013
Home Country
Finland Finland
All right, after I read how MP 1.3 was supposed to replace my stand-alone Blu-Ray player (I was just looking for that!), I decided to upgrade to 1.3.0 RC over 1.2.3. After all, it's release candidate, I should be safe, right? :)

Anyway, I am not sure if I have understood something wrong or not, but MP doesn't play any of my commercial blu-ray discs. Wiki page shows that these new menus should appear when I insert BD disc but for me, every disc works exactly the same. When I insert a BD-disc, first Mediaplayer shows an autoplay message saying: "Video disc inserted - do you want to open". When I select yes, shortly after I get a message: "Unable to play: Index".

In error.log I see two lines:
[ERROR][MPMain(1)]: BDPlayer: Exception while creating DShow graph (and then a Finnish message saying "cannot find object or name")
[ERROR][MPMain(1)]: BDPlayer: GetInterfaces() failed

In BDReader.log I see a line that says "CLibBlurayWrapper - Disk is encrypted, no decryption is currently supported".

Seems like all my BD discs are encrypted then. So, is the real thing here that MediaPlayer 1.3 is actually not enough, you actually have to buy AnyDVD HD to work in background as well? I wouldn't like to rip my discs to HDD.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I thought "native Blu-Ray support" means that just insert your BD discs in mediaportal, just like I have been doing with my DVD's and that's it, you are good to go and watch the movie :)

Gilean

Portal Member
January 28, 2013
Home Country
Finland Finland
Yes, I did read that beforehand, and have been reading especially that Limitations -section, and it says "If the user wishes to play a commercial disc, then they will need to use a 3rd party on-the-fly decrypter" but since the first sentence in Overview section says "MediaPortal (as of 1.3.0 Alpha) can now play most (not all, see limitations below) of your Blu-ray discs, including the menus, extras, etc!", I am not sure if there is something wrong in my system because seems like Mediaportal cannot play ANY of my Blu-ray discs... Also I have some of those BD's that are confirmed to be working in Blu-Ray Compatibility List (like Dark Knight and Hellboy 2: Golden Army), but all I get is "Unable to play: Index" when inserting those BD discs.

So, for those who have been populating that Compatibility List, are all of them using AnyDVD HD or something like that as well?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So, for those who have been populating that Compatibility List, are all of them using AnyDVD HD or something like that as well?

Most likely. What comes to the encrypted disks, I know no commercial disks that wouldn't be using encryption.

Gilean

Portal Member
    January 28, 2013
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Ah, thanks for confirming that. I installed AnyDVD HD trial and now I can play Blu-Rays more or less without problems. Too bad it's so expensive and there is no free software around for background decryption (DVDFab Passkey Lite is free but apparently it isn't bulletproof), so I probably have to keep my stand-alone blu-ray player around still... :(

Anyway, keep up the good work with Mediaportal, I have not used it but few weeks yet, but I love the software already! :) Also, 1.3.0.0RC seems to be pretty stable version and is working without problems for me. I wish in future it's possible to add native support for commercial blu-ray discs as well! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom