MP 1.3. final and Hauppague 1212 External PVR ... SO CLOSE to my perfect HTPC (2 Viewers)

Brandon Heat

Portal Member
March 29, 2013
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hello All,

I'm brand new to MP / HTPC's. By some miracle, after like 3 days of work, I was able to set everything up to my liking. I feel that MP is MUCH easier to setup and better than XBMC .. and the Android app is pure amazing. I currently have it setup to a HDHomeRun TV tuner which setup just fine... even got the EPG to work.

The last piece of the puzzle is to be able to hook up my Hauppauge 1212 PVR to MP and record / stream cable to my other PCs / Phone just like I can with the TV. I can't find ANY conclusive method of setup in the forums... mostly for the other Haup. internet cards / Colossus.

The reason I mentioned XBMC, is because for some reason the Hauppauge connected no problem to XBMC. I was wondering if someone understood the theory behind why it'd work ... then maybe even without instructions / other forum posts... I could figure out how to get it to work on MP.

It shows up in my TV server list as " Haupppage ... analog" It just won't scan the channels!. I feel like I'm so close ... can anyone suggest anything? I can post screenshots when I return home this evening.

Last edited:

Brandon Heat

Portal Member
March 29, 2013
Home Country
Norway Norway
It would seem that somehow... probably due to me also setting it up the TVServerXBMC plugin and getting it to work on my XBMC installation.

Now I just need to figure out how to get proper EPG setup / Scrapes for this thing... it'll be perfect.

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    The Hauppauge 1212 or HD-PVR does not have a tuner. So there is nothing for MP to scan. Instead, you need to have a source for EPG. Depending on the source, you may need to create the channels in MP manually.

I notice you're in Norway. In North America, a SchedulesDirect plugin can get the EPG info and will auto-create channels in MP based on your settings. After the channels are created, you can make the association to the tuner.

Presumably, you have an IR blaster or firewire changer setup to change channels on your settop box.

So, tell us more about your setup and we can try to help.

Geoff

Brandon Heat

Portal Member
    March 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for your reply,
    It seems that you've answered my main question; Could I separate the channels on my PVR somehow into EPG like with my HDHomerun Tuner?. Now that I know I can't...I guess I'm done with my HTPC for now. I may want to research a Network tuner / CableCard solution ... and they seem to be on sale for pretty cheap. But for now I'm satisfied.

this machine is; Windows 8 <> 2.4 ghz Athlon x4 900e <> 8gb ddr3 <> Nvidia GTX 465 graphics <> HDHomerun ( older version) Network tV tuner <> Hauppauge 1212

I would like to know if there's any reason that I load my Cable through the Haup 1212 ... it looks great.. and even records... but after I switch channels... I can't go back to it until reboot!

For now I'll keep scouring the forums and tweaking my awesome new MP / Media Center

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom