MP 1.4.0 - Video but no sound (1 Viewer)

Neoculture

Portal Pro
November 20, 2011
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
Here's a poser:
I have been using Media Portal for a while now, but last Friday it decided to stop playing sound. No, I have no idea what I might have changed - Windows reports it's connecting to my amplifier without problems and doing a Windows Sound test on the speakers (5.1 set-up) has them "bleeping" in the proper sequence. I installed CCCP and MPC-HC, and I get sound when I play my videos straight from MPC-HC... just no sound from MP (not even the sound effects when you select an option on the menu).

And doesn't seem to matter what kind of file I am playing (avi, mkv, downloaded from the net, ripped from DVD, or even plain ol' MP3s), there simply is no sound coming out of MP.

I'm stumped. I tried to generate a Log but when I use the Debug mode the screen comes up with place-holders and #tags but no captions, and it will not move beyond the first menu level. So I have used the "collect current logs" options and attached the resulting ZIP file.

I have re-installed MP1.4.0 over the current installation, uninstalled and re-installed the LAV plug-in and also (just in case) the Titan skin. Nothing. I am loathe to wipe my PC and restart from scratch as I have spent quite some time loading and sorting TV shows, Movies, Anime and games in their appropriate plug-ins.

Has anyone any ideas on how I should proceed? I like MP and the ease of use/catalogs... but it's unusable with no sounds.

Last edited:

Neoculture

Portal Pro
November 20, 2011
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi MM,

Just had a look - the Mixer has entries for "SONY AVAMP-1", "System Sound" and "Mozilla Firefox". No entry for any other application.

As extra testing, I installed XBMC on the same PC. It played my A-Team rip without a hitch. So:

MPC-HC - Plays video and sound
XBMC - Plays video and sound
MP - Plays video only.

:(

Neoculture

Portal Pro
November 20, 2011
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
UPDATE:
BIG THANKS TO MM

Yes, I'm an idiot - I should have checked the mixer while MP was running. As far as the Mixer was concerned, MP was muted. One quick click, and I have sound again.

Which now brings the question... how the frak did I somehow manage to mute the entire application?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom