MP 1.4 Missing Recordings (1 Viewer)

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
I have recently updated from 1.2.3 (which did miss a few recordings each month) to 1.4.0 which is missing a few recordings a week. The error in the log always seems to be,
HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) The operation has timed out after 3000
Tonight it was supposed to record ITV4 @ 1900 & ITVHD @ 2100 - both failed. I woke the PC up at 21:59 and it started the 22:00 BBC2HD recording.
I have attached the logs (numbered 3) in the hope that somebody with a better understanding of these might be able to have a look and possibly advise me as to what might be causing this.

Update: I have now discovered that it has recorded 3 copies of this programe !!!
Something very strange is going on. I have attached the log (numbered 2) that covers this recording.

I also seem to be unable to restore MP from the tray when the PC has been in standby for more than a couple of hours. I have to kill it in Task Manager or by launching MP Config and then relaunching it - any ideas as to what might be causing this are welcome, as 1.2.3 didn't seem to suffer from this.

Thank you

Last edited:

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
Things are going from bad to worse with MP 1.4 now. It was due to record a programme at 01:00 last night for an hour approx - it made 3 recordings, two small ones and one that just kept going until i stopped it at 07:30 in the morning !
Then today it managed a scheduled recording at 13:45, but then failed to record any of the evening programmes starting at 19:00...

I have now disabled Moving Pictures & MP-TV Series, incase there is a corrupt database affecting it - although I wouldn't have thought that they would have affected recordings, but they have made MP more responsive.
If anybody can determine anything useful from my log files, I would be very grateful, as I don't know whether to reinstall 1.4, go back to 1.2.3 or try 1.5.

Any suggestions, gratefully received.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If anybody can determine anything useful from my log files, I would be very grateful, as I don't know whether to reinstall 1.4, go back to 1.2.3 or try 1.5.
    The log files that you've posted are essentially useless for investigating issues with missed recordings because they are focussed on what MediaPortal is doing when in actual fact the issue is more likely to be with TV Server.

If you're running MP and TV Server on the same PC (ie. single-seat install) please follow the instructions here to grab full log files that will allow us to investigate:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Non_Reproducible_Problems_within_MediaPortal

Otherwise:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip up all the files you find there (this may require you to copy the files to a new folder).
    4. Post the zip file here.

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2011
    Hello mm1352000

I have attached the debug logs as requested, and the complete TV Server logs, just incase it helps.
    It is a single seat install, as suggested.

Thank you for taking the time to look and good luck !

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2011

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for having a look. I am curious as to why it would need an IP address, especially as it is a single-seat and both parts of MP are on the same machine.
    That is because MP and TV Server communicate using a technology called .NET remoting. This technology uses network ports/sockets for communication. The practical implication for MediaPortal is that you need a network connection with a stable IP address even for a single-seat install.

My modem isn't always on, so would having a fixed IP with no router access affect it ?
    Having the router/modem off could potentially affect the reliability of MediaPortal. Based on what you've said I think you could be a good candidate for the loopback adapter... though I'm not sure how you force TV Server to bind to the loopback adapter while still using the other adapter.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Alternatively, could you consider modifying the DHCP behaviour so you get a longer lease on the IP address... or even that you always get the same IP address (in effect, a static IP address but still allocated by DHCP).

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2011
    I will try P.D.'s loopback adapter and see how I get on.
    I never knew that this was a requirement for MP and I have been using it for over 3years - I'm surprised it has worked as well as it has !

Thank you once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom