MP 1.5 + Cable Card Setup (1 Viewer)

pipplo

August 25, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hey Everyone,

I had a couple of basic questions about settin gup 1.5 with Cable Card tuners. I have my cable card tuners working in Windows Media Center already on windows 8. I'm really excited to see cable card support in 1.5 so I installed it to try it out. I could quite get things to work but I'm not sure if I am missing something.

Can Window MediaCenter and Media Portal co-exist with the tuner (Ceton infinitv 4) or do I have to somehow un-bind Media Center and connect the tuner to Media Portal.

I played around in the settings and was trying to do a channel scan but nothing seemed to find any channels. (I am on comcast in N. Cal) After doing this I noticed that TV wasn't working in Media Center either. I opened my Ceton diagnostic and the OOB line was red (something about out of bounds)

I uninstalled Media Portal and re-started and everything was working in Media Center again.

Any pointers or tips from anyone? (I hope this is the right place in the forum)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome pipplo :)

The best place to get help with CableCARD tuners is over here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/

The first post in that thread contains full instructions for getting up and running.
    Since you're running MP 1.5 PR you should start at the "Continuing with configuration..." bit.

Now to directly answer some of your questions...
    Can Window MediaCenter and Media Portal co-exist with the tuner (Ceton infinitv 4) or do I have to somehow un-bind Media Center and connect the tuner to Media Portal.
    There is nothing to unbind or connect. WMC and MP can co-exist in the sense that they can be installed at the same time. Technically you should even be able to use one tuner in MP while using another in WMC if you happened to need to do that. MP's CableCARD support was coded in such a way as to avoid disrupting other applications that might be using tuners, however there is always the chance that WMC will disrupt MP. For that reason we do recommend only using WMC or MP at any given time and restarting the MP TV service after you're done with WMC. By that I mean:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Go to the "manual control" section.
    3. Click "stop service"... then "start service".

I played around in the settings and was trying to do a channel scan but nothing seemed to find any channels. (I am on comcast in N. Cal) After doing this I noticed that TV wasn't working in Media Center either. I opened my Ceton diagnostic and the OOB line was red (something about out of bounds)
    Lots of info to unpack here...
    First, if you follow the instructions in the thread that I mentioned you should be able to get your channels.
    In short:
    • set the SDT/VCT timeout to 60 seconds
    • select "digital cable" tuning mode
    • hit scan
    Expect to wait about 2 minutes for the scan to complete. You'll see a message something like "scanning out-of-band service information", then nothing will appear to be happening for awhile... then all the channels in the lineup will be loaded.

OOB = out of band
    WMC and MediaPortal grab lineup info from the OOB tuner. It needs to be locked on signal in order for scanning to work.

I'd recommend not attempting to use the tuner in WMC while scanning in MP.

If you want a hand setting up I'd be happy to help. Just let me know how best I can assist (TeamViewer, RDP, Skype, IRC etc.). :)

mm

goblygoop

October 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi. Sorry to hijack, but I have the same problem. I'm using 1.5 and I've tried to follow the guide that provides the 1.4 patches and the 1.5 updates. I can't get past the "you should now see hdhomerun prime". I always see "silicondust hdhomerun".

Running Windows 7 64bit with MP final 1.5

goblygoop

October 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Hi and thank you for the greeting.

No firewall on. I just can't get the HDhomerun to load as "hdhomerun prime" like the instructions say. I can scan for channels, but none of the encrypted (copy free) ones are decoded. Are there new instructions for making a cablecard hdhomerun prime work with 1.5? WMC and NPVR work just fine.

Attachments

• hdhomrun.gif
      hdhomrun.gif
      175.9 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No firewall on.
    Okay.

I just can't get the HDhomerun to load as "hdhomerun prime" like the instructions say.
    So I see.

I can scan for channels, but none of the encrypted (copy free) ones are decoded.
    That's because you're using the "Silicondust HDHomeRun..." tuners.

Are there new instructions for making a cablecard hdhomerun prime work with 1.5?
    No. The fact that your tuners are not being picked up is unusual - it should happen automatically.

WMC and NPVR work just fine.
    Okay.

A few more questions...

First, can you tell me what "application" is set to in the "application tab" in HDHomeRun Setup.

Second, can you tell me about your network situation.
    Are you running Windows in a virtual machine?
    You only have one PRIME, right?
    It looks like you have more than one network connection:
    [2013-10-09 15:42:37,844] [Log ] [28 ] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.1.50
    [2013-10-09 15:42:37,845] [Log ] [28 ] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.56.1
    What is the deal with that?

Thanks,
    mm

goblygoop

October 9, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks for your help.

Application is set to "mediaportal". When the windows driver was added to the system, it was set to windows media center (i think thats default).

Network: 1.50 is the main IP for windows 7. The virtual machine is a linux one (virtual card using oracle virtualbox (latest ver)). I can remove the adaptor if its mucking things up.

There is only 1 HD prime. Running firmware 0708beta1 and the windows software is the same.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for your help.
    No problem. :)

Application is set to "mediaportal". When the windows driver was added to the system, it was set to windows media center (i think thats default).
    Hmmm, I don't know what setting it to MediaPortal actually does. In my testing I think I had it set to Windows Media Center. That will probably make the "Silicondust HDHomeRun..." tuners go away but may not bring in the "HDHomeRun Prime..." ones.

Network: 1.50 is the main IP for windows 7. The virtual machine is a linux one (virtual card using oracle virtualbox (latest ver)). I can remove the adaptor if its mucking things up.
    Okay.
    I have seen problems when Windows itself is running in a VM. For some reason the UPnP traffic didn't seem to reliably make it into the virtualised environment. However I have yet to see problems with multiple adaptors. Ceton InfiniTV 4 cards present themselves as a second adaptor, and we had no problem with them.
    I would be interested to know what happens if you do disable that second adaptor. If it is easy enough to do, please could you try it.

There is only 1 HD prime. Running firmware 0708beta1 and the windows software is the same.
    Perfect. :)

To be real clear: the one sentence summary of what I'm saying is that your tuner should be recognised. It is strange that it is not.
    If you're able to give me access to the server (via RDP or TeamViewer) I'd be happy to jump on and try and debug... though it might have to wait until the weekend (I'm at work at the moment - in New Zealand it is about 10:30 am on Friday). Basically first thing I'd do is install Wireshark and snoop on TV Server's UPnP requests and responses. There's also a cut down UPnP tuner finding tool that I would try out and see if it could pick up your tuner. Anyhow, if you're willing to go down that route let me know, and I'll flick you a private message so we can exchange details. :)

goblygoop

October 9, 2013
    Home Country
    I use a different tool. It has a free (and clean) viewer that requires no install. I can give you all the login info. I'm on the east coast. Its 6:30pm right now. When would work for you?

Tried disabling the adaptor, no change.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I use a different tool. It has a free (and clean) viewer that requires no install.
    Okay - happy to go with that. :)
    [I note that TeamViewer also doesn't require any install or config and is free for private use.]

I can give you all the login info. I'm on the east coast. Its 6:30pm right now. When would work for you?
    I've just flicked you a PM to arrange. Let me know if you don't see it or have trouble replying.

Tried disabling the adaptor, no change.
    Okay. Looking forward to getting onto the server as this is shaping up to be a good challenge/learning experience for me. :)
    Of course I'd have preferred if it just worked for your benefit... but CableCARD tuner support is a new feature for us so there are bound to be a few kinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom