MP 1 Hangs on resume fro sleep (TV) (1 Viewer)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I finish watching TV I always stop the playback and exit to the home gui before putting the HTPC to sleep and have no problems. I currently have some non computer savvy guests staying with me who like to watch TV, I have done my best to give them instructions on using the HTPC but they frequently simply hit the standby button on the remote without stopping and closing TV, with the result on resume from sleep that MP is hung either with a black screen or a frozen still of the TV program. The only way out is to close MP1 using the Taskmanager or reboot, Watchdog is no help. I do appreciate that failing to stop playback prior to putting the HTPC to sleep and expecting a full recovery may be unreasonable but I do not think a complete hang is a reasonable result either.
    Is this a bug (MP 1.25), my setup or some other issue.
    Logs attached.

Update:-
    The problem seems to be related to the use of Madvr, selecting the option "Use EVR for TV" in MP Config can be used as a workaround to avoid the failure.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_14_07_20__11_29.zip
      1.7 MB
    Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When I finish watching TV I always stop the playback and exit to the home gui before putting the HTPC to sleep and have no problems.
    Me too! (y) :)

they frequently simply hit the standby button on the remote without stopping and closing TV, with the result on resume from sleep that MP is hung either with a black screen or a frozen still of the TV program.
    I occasionally do this. As well as using MP, I also sometimes watch live TV using the TV's tuner :eek:. I switch it off by pressing the OFF button on my Logitech Harmony 650 remote, which switches everything off. But if I am actually using MP to watch TV, the OFF button does not stop live TV playing, with the result that my system never hibernates (it runs continuously).

To avoid my HTPC running all night, I have set up another AutoHotKey script to use with my hibernation controller. When invoked, this script sends the keystrokes for STOP, HOME, and EXIT (ALT_F4) (the script contains a bit more than this):
    • STOP stops playback of live TV, video, radio, music.
    • HOME displays the "Home" panel (required because there is a config setting that prevents sleep or hibernation if not on the "Home" panel).
    • EXIT (ALT_F4) either exits MP, or displays the exit pop-up (depends on your remote control config). If your remote control config displays the "Exit" pop-up in response to ALT_F4, you need to send ENTER too, in order to select the first item on the pop-up.
    The problem now is how to cause this script to be invoked when the system is about to sleep or hibernate. I use my weird hibernation controller, but in the absence of that, you might be able to use PowerScheduler to invoke a progam when the system is about to sleep or hibernate. It is the Run command on system power state change on the "Advanced" tab in PowerScheduler config (you need to be in expert mode).

The catch here is that the command needs to have admin authority, and AutoHotKey scripts do not have admin authority. The way that I think that you can get around this is to use "Task Scheduler" to set up a "run on request" task, and create a shortcut on the desktop to invoke it. The task runs the AutoHotKey script, and the reason this works (I think) is that you can select a setting on the task properties panel that allows the task to run with admin authority. So:
    • When the system is about to sleep or hibernate, PowerScheduler invokes the desktop shortcut.
    • The desktop shortcut starts the task.
    • The task runs the AutoHotKey script with admin authority.
    • The script sends the commands to stop playback and close MP.
    Well... it might work o_O (I have not actually tried it :D).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for that but it does seem to me that Madvr is the issue here, I guess it is not as robust as the EVR or does not get shut down as elegantly, I also suspect, though I have not tried it, that the result would be the same for playback of any video, i.e. not just TV.
    Given that German TV is now all transmitted as full HD, the need to use Madvr for upscalling is no longer there, EVR looks really good too.
    I think for now I will keep the option to use EVR for tv enabled as a workaround with the added bonus that I can use the D3D11 Hardware Decoder in LAV which seems more efficient but has a problem with Madvr and TV channel changing, but no problem with EVR.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom