MP 1 or MP2? (1 Viewer)

johnoxy

Portal Member
June 13, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi, I'm new to mediaportal and would appreciate some assistance in installing the correct version for what i want.
I have a media server in the cupboard and the htpc is by the tv.
These are wired.
The htpc has the tv tuners not the server.
The htpc has a blu-ray drive and an ssd (120gb)
I also want to be able to stream server content to other devices using mp.

Should i be using MP2 in this scenario? I've read that MP2 doesn't play blu-ray yet?

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

If you want solid TV and bluray support I'd go with MP1 for now... but you could try both and use the one that suits best (you can install MP1 and MP2 on the same PC). :)

mm

johnoxy

Portal Member
    June 13, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Does that have any implications when setting up shares?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Does that have any implications when setting up shares?

MP1 supports UNC shares as well:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/2_Videos/1_Video_Folders

As I understand it the bigger difference between MP1 and MP2 is that MP2 stores all your media info on the server whereas with MP1 you pretty much have to set up each client individually (note). This probably isn't much of an issue for you right now as you only have the one client - the HTPC. Whether you leave the tuners in the HTPC and install MP as "single-seat" (ie. both TV Server and MediaPortal on the same PC) or move the tuners to the server and do a server-only (TV Server) install on the server and a client-only install on the HTPC is up to you.

Julien Pham

Portal Member
    July 11, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    I wonder, will MP2 be released (as a final version, not an alpha) before the end of the year? For now I'm testing MP1 on my PC and I like it a lot, but on november I'll buy a mini PC to do a media center in my living room, and so I would prefer installing directly MP2 if it will be available ;)

Thanks

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    There is a long way between alpha and final, so I wouldn't hold my breath this year. (Perhaps @morpheus_xx / @chefkoch can say something regaring roadmap,).

@johnoxy: IMO opinion MP2 has many advantages over MP1 (there is a reason why MP2 was stated ;)), but MP2 is in alpha state, so it still lacks a lot of features and isn't meant to be used on a productive system at it's current state. (Unless you wanna piss of your GF :D).

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yep, MP2 is:
    • pretty stable, but
    • missing many features you might expect to have from MP1 and so it is also
    • pretty good to piss of your GF ;)
    I use MP2 only, but I have no TV and still miss some features, nevertheless I am happy that I don't have to spent hours for fixing trivial config problems or upgrade problems anymore. ;)

Last edited:

Julien Pham

Portal Member
    July 11, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    End of the year I'll have to figure this out, knowing that I need a media center to:
    - listen to my music
    - Watch my photos
    - Watch my videos
    - Watch trailers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom