MP 2.1 Issues (1 Viewer)

reviTULize

Portal Member
September 2, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have installed MP2.1 and I have several issues. Originally, I installed MP2 alongside MP1(which has worked for a few years) and had issues. Therefore, I decided to uninstall MP1 and do a clean setup. This seems to work, but I have numerous issues with MP2.1 and wonder if someone can provide insight.
  1. v2.1 does not like the same remote I was using for MP1. Basically it is completely unuseable. Did something break in 2.1? I don't see any detailed info in the 'Input Devices' section and the link seems to loopback to itself.
  2. The only way I can get 'back' in the GUI is to use the Esc button on the keyboard? I don't even see links or onscreen buttons to 'go back' when in the Settings or watching tv
  3. Audio is off from video when watching a recording, after pausing live TV, etc... No clue what could be causing this. Watching a channel regularly seems to work fine. But if I pause it or watch a recorded program, it's completely off
  4. Movie details only display when I have the mouse hovered over the movie name but I don't see any way to actually play the movie. Backdrop loads properly, but the other metadata(description, rating, category, etc...) don't appear unless I position the mouse correctly. Movies only come from one NAS resource and only about 200 entries and all metadata is already in the folders. Worked great in MP1
Thanks for any help/assistance

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

let me try to answer some of your questions / feedback to your issues
    v2.1 does not like the same remote I was using for MP1. Basically it is completely unuseable. Did something break in 2.1? I don't see any detailed info in the 'Input Devices' section and the link seems to loopback to itself.
    MP2 works with MCE compatible remotes with IR6 devices out of the box. Other remotes need to be configured with the InputManager plugin or other tools. Use the search function and you'll see a lot of threads regarding this with the answers. I'm currently on cell phone and it's too complicated to place all the links here for you.

The only way I can get 'back' in the GUI is to use the Esc button on the keyboard? I don't even see links or onscreen buttons to 'go back' when in the Settings or watching tv
    It depends on the skin:
    WMCSkin: Keyboard: "ESC", Mouse: Press back button on top left, Remote: Press the "back" button
    BlueVision: Keyboard: "ESC", Mouse: Use the Crumb bar in top to press where to go , Remote: Press the "back" button
    Win10/Titanimum Extended theme: Keyboard: "ESC", Mouse: Press back button on top left (Not in all screens visible) , Remote: Press the "back" button

Audio is off from video when watching a recording, after pausing live TV, etc... No clue what could be causing this. Watching a channel regularly seems to work fine. But if I pause it or watch a recorded program, it's completely off
    Please reproduce the issue and post log files. Please check, if you selected LAV for video and audio in the codec settings of MP2.

Movie details only display when I have the mouse hovered over the movie name but I don't see any way to actually play the movie. Backdrop loads properly, but the other metadata(description, rating, category, etc...) don't appear unless I position the mouse correctly. Movies only come from one NAS resource and only about 200 entries and all metadata is already in the folders. Worked great in MP1
    I'm not sure what you mean. Of course only the movie with focus has details in the footer description and fanart. Perhaps you mean something else, so please explain with other words or even better post a screensot and circle the problematic area.
    To play the movie, just press Enter/OK/"click it".

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply @ge2301.
    I have double-checked the codecs and all are set to LAV. The audio renderer was set to something obscure so I changed it to MediaPortal and will test it when I get home.
    Let me work on these other issues and see if it works.

thanks again!

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi,

let me try to answer some of your questions / feedback to your issues

MP2 works with MCE compatible remotes with IR6 devices out of the box. Other remotes need to be configured with the InputManager plugin or other tools. Use the search function and you'll see a lot of threads regarding this with the answers. I'm currently on cell phone and it's too complicated to place all the links here for you.

It depends on the skin:
    WMCSkin: Keyboard: "ESC", Mouse: Press back button on top left, Remote: Press the "back" button
    BlueVision: Keyboard: "ESC", Mouse: Use the Crumb bar in top to press where to go , Remote: Press the "back" button
    Win10/Titanimum Extended theme: Keyboard: "ESC", Mouse: Press back button on top left (Not in all screens visible) , Remote: Press the "back" button

Please reproduce the issue and post log files. Please check, if you selected LAV for video and audio in the codec settings of MP2.

I'm not sure what you mean. Of course only the movie with focus has details in the footer description and fanart. Perhaps you mean something else, so please explain with other words or even better post a screensot and circle the problematic area.
    To play the movie, just press Enter/OK/"click it".

While I am fairly computer literate...it appears that this new version is not quite ready for quick setup for the average user. Therefore, I will be looking for a different product.

Much respect to all devs and contributors, but this version is not ready for mainstream. If, at some point, there is a simpler(wizard-guided) setup that prevents me from learning far more than I want to about epg's, filters, remotes, batch files, etc...I will HAPPILY contribute, donate(again), purchase or whatever it takes, to have a more streamlined & simpler htpc.

I have used MP1 for several years. During initial setup, I learned waaayyyy more than I wanted to about this stuff. Download, install, configure...then tweak. Is that so hard? While they're horrible products...even NextPVR and WinTV were able to pickup my channels, names, epg, etc...with very minimal interaction. Feature-wise...they can't even compare to MP. But there has to be a happy-medium. I have yet to make MP work out-of-the-box. And it's impossible to count the number of hours I have spent tweaking it.

Thanks again...I'm sad to go.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the feedback and sorry for hear your decision.
    But let me tell, that your last feedback is not so helpful, as your message is too general and not specific. You had problems, partly it was not clear what you mean. You got a feedback and now we can not know if there are really software or user issues. To clarify this, and perhaps improve the product, it would have been much more helpful to share what you could not solve in the end and where else you stucked.

I hope you find a better software, you are welcome back any time!

reviTULize

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the feedback and sorry for hear your decision.
    But let me tell, that your last feedback is not so helpful, as your message is too general and not specific. You had problems, partly it was not clear what you mean. You got a feedback and now we can not know if there are really software or user issues. To clarify this, and perhaps improve the product, it would have been much more helpful to share what you could not solve in the end and where else you stucked.

I hope you find a better software, you are welcome back any time!
    I could spend time detailing all of the issues I've had, but it was take more time.

Very simply put, I have had to spend way to much time tweaking and trying to make the software work. MP1 has worked for 5 years...but I remember spending a significant amount of time setting it up. Here's a summary of my grievances:
    1. Changing channels. When trying to change from channel to channel using the epg, it takes forever for the channel to load. Almost like the software is locking up.
    2. Same remote used for MP1 does not work. I understand that there is something called InputManager that helps with this. But this is my whole point...it's frustrating that I am expected to have to figure all of these things out...and it takes valuable time.
    3. Audio of slightly behind the video. This worked perfectly in MP1
    4. EPG. This has taken up alot of my time and the only one I can get working is the xmltv plugin. Could not get the built in epg working out of the box. Again, the average consumer is not going to know how to create batch files, edit xml files, etc... I am able to do these things, but it takes forever to learn how to setup all of these little things within MP.
    5. Codecs, filters, etc... -very frustrating to have to learn all of this stuff just to make MP work after install.
    I want to make it clear that I understand that I'm dealing with an open-source & free software and I'm sure this product works well once someone has invested hours upon hours learning all of the bits and pieces. If the setup could guide users through setting up their remote, epg, channels, media sources, etc...so that countless hours are not spent learning how to set all of this up, it would be amazing. I have NO problem paying for this software, donating or whatever. I just really don't care to spend so much time trying to make it work. My setup is basic OTA & two(fairly new) Hauppauge tuners. I have included logs if you are interested in viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom