mp and configuration fails to starts and crashes (1 Viewer)

phagus

Portal Member
March 23, 2009
TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: blue3wide
Windows Version: xp pro (service pack 3)
CPU Type: P4 3.00
HDD: 230 GB
Memory: 1.49gb ram
Motherboard: MSI

Can't open either mediaportal.exe or configuration.exe. Was all working fine before, and then for some reason keeps crashing before program starts.

When double clicking mediaportal.exe to open, configuration starting screen comes up and then a window error stating;
MediaPortal Configuration has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I have done clean re-installs a number of times, tried window restore, updates windows with lastest, and still same problem.

Please help going mad here, I don't know what else to do............

phagus

Portal Member
March 23, 2009
Sadly it seems like it won't be a quick fix, as no one has come forward with a solution.

I got some more information if it might help.................

After the last time media portal was working, I downloaded a program called 'Sublight.exe'

This program downloads subtitles for movies on your hard drive.

After downloading a few subtitles with this program, I tried to open media portal but it crashed before it opened.

I uninstalled sublight, and still it wouldn't open. (Also deleted all subtitles i downloaded)

I stripped MP of any Media Portal Installers, but still it wouldn't open.

I uninstalled MP, and tried a clean install. (I copied database, and moved to save place so I could reinstall database of videos). Still no good, I tried this method over ten times after I would make a change on system.

I tried to restore windows to a date before I had an issue with MP. But I could only restore to a date a few days before, as for some reason it didn't have any dates before then. So I tried that but still same issue.

So my next step was, it might have virus or spyware so i run some scans with...........
Avira AntiVir Personal - No infection
Ad-Aware - No infection
Avast Home - No infection

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - 1 Infection (Hijack.StartMenu)
(I removed infected file though Malwarebytes, but after restart this infection would still show up on scan, so I searched on Google how to deal with this infection, but I found at Malwarebytes.org this is a false positive and it should be just ignored) Hijack.StartMenu...am I infected? - Malwarebytes Forum

I did run other spyware and malware scans but they all showed no infections.

So even more confused, but no solutions.

Then last few things I did after searching media portal forums, I updated window with latest security updates, and installed K-Lite codec pack to do fix broken codec. Uninstalled my media remote (dell premier remote, like philips), I also disabled my TV card, as I only started to use this function a few days before. But still it won't work.

I think Media Portal is great, and really enjoyed it. I setup to watch my movies and my tvseries; and now it is hard to go back to the old ways of playing in window media without any of them functions.

PLEASE HELP>>>>>>>>ANY IDEAS?????????:(

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Your logs are complete empty even event logs, so no crash recorded there....

Regards
    Roy

doornjoostje

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re-install your XP.
    When finished create a image with ghost.
    Install all drivers and make a image.
    Install MP and make an image.

This way you can always go back quickly.

phagus

Portal Member
    March 23, 2009
    I re ran watch dog, and attrached log for media portal.

Doornjoostje - I was hoping to find solution without reinstalling XP, as not sure where my xp disk is, and I have lot of files on PC I don't want to risk losing.

Hopefully with the logs attached, someone can help me......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom