MP and Remote Controls (1 Viewer)

M

Mad Max

Hi Everyone,

I've searched for something definitive about this, but I am getting way too many hits.

Basically I am looking at various Media Centre software apps to see which one I should use. I came across Media Portal and have been trying to find out information about how it's controlled remotely. I know I can use a wireless keyboard and/or mouse, but I want to know whether the remote that comes with the TV card works once MP is installed or whether I need to install a 3rd party software package (and if so, what it is) or whether I need to go into some "training" page to map the buttons on the remote to what I want it to do.

I've come across lots of Forum entries such as "Using the Hauppauge Remote with MP" and so on. In other words, individual topics for individual cards. There doesn't seem to be anything in the "about MP" pages which says how it deals with the remotes that come with TV cards.

Do you need a 3rd party software app running to use the remote? Do you need to configure a ini file?? I guess many people like myself are basic users and can install MP by following the prompts and could possibly train a remote control using some form of GUI interface, but I would start getting lost if I had to work out what entries my ini file would need, like I found in this post:
http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=621

BTW, I have a DViCO DVB-T card in the lounge room and a Comprousa VideoMate DVB-T300 card in my office computer.

Once again, I apologise if this has been explained elsewhere, but other than searching for "Remote control" I didn't know what other keywords to use.

I think what the web site needs where it describes MP and it's abilities etc is a section titled "Remote Controls" and explains whether the remotes that come with the various TV cards can be used and how this function is enabled, whether it be via a "training" screen where buttons are mapped, or by some other method.

Regards

Max

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
MP currently supports the MCE Remote and the Hauppauge remote natively.

For all other remotes, a "mapping application" is required (I think there may be future plans to include a mapping function/wizard in MP, but there is none right now). You can use the one supplied with your remote (eg iMon) or 3rd party apps such as Girder or HIP.

In the MP setup, there is the option (http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/manual:setup:keysandsounds) to sepcify mapping of keyboard functions to MP actions, both globally and on a per module basis. The standard mappings can be changed here to suit your particular requirements.

A

Anonymous

ATI Theatrix 550 card remote

FWIW, I have been using an ATI THeatrix 550 card successfully with MP 0.3.1

It came with a remote, which I believe is mapped pretty closely to the MCE remote (US).

Regardless, I have been using it "out of the box" for basic controls with no need to map.

I may be missing some advanced remote functions, but for the basics its been working great!

H

htpcdigest

It doesn't come with a tv tuner but the Snapstream firefly is a good remote that works out of the box with Mediaportal. It has an xml file that ships with it or can be downloaded from snapstream's website. It detects when Mediaportal is focused and sends the proper instructions. This xml file can also be easily edited to add functions/change functions. I like it. Here is my firefly mediaportal profile for anyone that wants it.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Mad Max

Apparently the Dvico remote control works also in MP....give MP a try and let us know....also which remote r u using? the one from the Dvico DVB-T (Full), Plus, Lite, USB or Dvico MCE remote control?

rblack

January 30, 2006
    Mapping software

vbap said:
    MP currently supports the MCE Remote and the Hauppauge remote natively.
    For all other remotes, a "mapping application" is required (I think there may be future plans to include a mapping function/wizard in MP, but there is none right now). You can use the one supplied with your remote (eg iMon) or 3rd party apps such as Girder or HIP.

You might also check out remote2key.sourceforge.net for remote control mapping software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom