MP and Scheduals Direct (1 Viewer)

Bentley118

March 4, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello all new to forums so please bear with me.

I just installed MP version 1.13.0 and purchased a subscription from Schedules Direct. I've done everything, at least I think, according to instructions. I'm just using an OTA antenna and a Silicone Dust hdhomerun connect tuner. Every thing works with the TV channels I was able to get but when I look in the TV guide section it shows I have no data available. How can I tell if Schedules Direct is working? Or is it something I didn't set up correctly in MP. The correct information was put in the MP server section for Schedules Direct. I did rescan for TV channels after subscribing. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks Bentley

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Bentley :)

How can I tell if Schedules Direct is working?
    Only by looking at the log files, unfortunately.

Or is it something I didn't set up correctly in MP.
    It's not possible for me to know this without more information.

I think you have 2 options:
    1. Provide TV Server log files so I can take a look and see what's going on.
    2. Stop using the SchedulesDirect plugin. Instead, use your SchedulesDirect subscription in conjunction with mc2xml (to download the data and output it in XMLTV format) and TV Server's XMLTV plugin (to import the data). Setup instructions: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

Bentley118

March 4, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks mm1352000: I tried using your second option but I'm having trouble with the first step, Download mc2xml.exe not a problem. Then it says Download xmltv.dtd from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/master/TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TVServer.Base/xmltv/xmltv.dtd to your xmltv folder. Not sure what to do here as it appears to be a bunch of text not a file. I attempted to follow the rest of the instructions with some success but still nothing worked together. I've read a few posts with similar problems but couldn't find a solution. Funny everything went so smoothly setting up MP and getting it to run except for this. Seems there should be an easy way to set this up. Any suggestions where to go from here? Thanks Bentley.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Then it says Download xmltv.dtd from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1/master/TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TVServer.Base/xmltv/xmltv.dtd to your xmltv folder. Not sure what to do here as it appears to be a bunch of text not a file.
    Sounds like you're left-clicking on the link. To download, right click and select "save link as"/"save as..." (exact option varies depending on what browser you're using, which you haven't told me).

I attempted to follow the rest of the instructions with some success but still nothing worked together. I've read a few posts with similar problems but couldn't find a solution.
    I'd like to be able to help you, but you're going to need to actually tell me what's wrong.

Bentley118

March 4, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks but after many hours I've given up. I know it's not your software it's my inability to understand. It's just way to complicated I'll look for something simpler. Thanks again for the help. Bentley

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry to hear that you've given up and I wish you'd chosen to ask for help rather than wasting hours. I've tried to respond as quickly as I can (keeping in mind that I'm on the other side of the world in New Zealand, so I'm asleep when you're awake and vice versa), but in this case it seems like it hasn't been good enough. If you were struggling to simply download a file then clearly you need a really easy solution. Good luck.

Kenneth Vinzant

March 7, 2016
    Home Country
    MM1352000, you want like what I have to say but I feel just like Bently above. I have been working on Midiaportal the better part of two days and I am totally frustrated! Things just are meant to be this difficult. I have been around computers for a long time now and I don't think I have ever been so frustrated. I can't even figure out how to install the schedules direct or any other extension. What kind of system are you guys using??????? I have never seen anything so complicated in my life.

I have probably the most common setup out there - an HTPC with an I7 Intel processor and two Silicon Dust Home Run Extends giving me 4 tuners in all. Your software shouild be extremely easy to install and set up but it's anything but!!!! Because of Microsoft''s abandonment of Windows Media Center, I needed a new program to replace it.. Based on many glowing reviews, I wanted to try it. Well, I challange you to explain to me how someone is supposed to understand how to download and install the schedules direct extension? It's like a foreign language. It's horribly complicated!

Most people won't take the time to say give feedback like I have - they just leave and don't say anything. There has to be a bunch more Bently's and Ken's out there!!!!!!!

Here's some log files just in case you want to see the pain I've been through: Nevermind. I couldn't get the log upload to work either.

Sorry for the rant but you just need to understand that Media Portal software needs some work.

Ken

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Ken

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. Setup is not meant to be difficult.

I can't even figure out how to install the schedules direct or any other extension.
    Really simple question for you: which version of MediaPortal are you using? MediaPortal 1.**, or MediaPortal 2. They're totally different.

If you're using MediaPortal 1, installing the SD plugin (or any other extension) should be as simple as opening the MP Extension Installer (link on your desktop or in your start menu), going to the "known extensions" tab, entering "schedulesdirect" in the filter field, then installing it. Alternatively, download it from the website:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/television/schedulesdirect-guide-importer

...and double click on the downloaded file to install it.

If you're using MediaPortal 2, I'm sorry I can't help you. I do know it's not as easy as MP1 because MP2 doesn't have an extension installer/manager.

Both MP1 and MP2 have strengths and weaknesses. Quite frankly, I strongly recommend MP1 and struggle to recommend MP2; other people are the opposite. In my opinion extension/plugin installation is a prime example of an MP2 weakness. If you're struggling with MP2, maybe you'll find MP1 easier.

Well, I challange you to explain to me how someone is supposed to understand how to download and install the schedules direct extension? It's like a foreign language. It's horribly complicated!
    As above: I'd disagree if you're describing MP1, and agree if you're describing MP2.

Regards,
    mm

Kenneth Vinzant

March 7, 2016
    Home Country
    MM, thanks for the quick response. I'm still frustrated but not as hot as when I wrote the reply a while ago. Thanks for the tips. I refuse to give up so I'll give it a go again tomorrow. I didn't mention that I'm trying to use Media Portal with Kodi. Any tips would be appreciated.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom