porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

Since upgrading to 1.3 Final I have started to have a problem with my lounge client. When I shut MP down by using the pop up shutdown screen MP disappears off the screen and a window dialogue box pops up saying that MP has encountered a problem and giving three choices "Check Internet", "Close MP", and another option (I cannot remember), I have to click the close option on the dialogue box. On the shutdown pop up menu I usually select the 'Shutdown' option thus closing MP and then shutting down windows; I cannot do this now from the remote control as I have to get the keyboard out to then shut down Win7.

This happens every time I come to close MP.

Find attached all logs, the last time I shut down was at 21:33 today.

I do hope someone could help as the WAF is down to zero this evening.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi - suspect it's the owenrship of the MediaPortal.xml, which is updated when you close done - as Window's thinks you don't have permission, MePo throws an error to Windows and it's the Windows pop up that pop's up.

Code:
    2013-03-25 21:33:41.460775 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml' is denied.

You have error in Error.log & MediaPortal.log.

Check ownership vs MePo user and permissions.

Cheers - JCMP

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    May well not what you did, but who you did it as:->

To check permissions, cd into c:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal and right click on the MediaPortal DIR (as need to check directory & file), and then Properties at bottom of menu. In Properties tab, see Security, click that and then Advanced.

The display you get will be similar to that below - NOTE, here I've grouped both FILE & DIR details, the FILE data is top, DIR bottom, with the basic data on left & advanced data on right.

Permissions.jpg

On my system main , MePo runs as the PLAYER ID, but I manage service under the PW ID. Both Id's are administrators (this is NOT good security practice but pragmatic given system ownership, access & usage), and as you see, Administrators have Full Control over File & Directory.

So, the account that MePo runs under needs to have Modifiy rights to file and possibly (always confuses me) Full Control at directory level, although Modify should be enough OR operate as Admin user.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers - JCMP

PS - You may note that my MediaPortal dir is on D: and not C: as listed above - I have a link in C:/ProgramData to D:/Team MediaPortal for space considerations on my dev/test box.

J

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I've seen a report of this problem from another user a little while ago - the problem is that (from the log) MP is trying to change a file in 'C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal' (which is not allowed without elevated admin rights, so it fails - as it should). The correct location for 'MediaPortal.xml' on Vista onwards is in 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal'

I've no idea why, but this seems to be an occasional bug somewhere, either in MP or the installer (maybe it thought it was Win XP when installing for some reason ?)

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Quite right - I even quoted the damn location from the log and missed it's not where it should be:censored:

i'm not sure that simply moving will solve problem however, as MePo does attempt to update the file in that location.

Suggest you check the existence of file in both locations, if it's not in ProgramData, move it into place.
    You also should check the MediaPortalDirs.xml in c:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal [as you don't say otherwise, assume your running Win7 32 Bit - otherwise it's c:\Program Files(x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal

Apologies for being dim and thank Owlsroost for correction and not calling me dim(y)

JCMP

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    You're not dim at all JimCat... certainly more processing power "up there" than me'self. :(

EDIT: I can confirm that I have the file mediaPortal.xml in both the Program Files>Team MediaPortal>MediaPortal and Program Data>Team MediaPortal>MediaPortal

I also have the file MediaPortalDirs.xml in the program path as indicated.

Looking like I do a full clean and reinstall. I should have stayed on 1.2.3 ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom