[no Bug] MP Configuration Crash on exit (with FTR) (1 Viewer)

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I already posted a bug with For The Record but honestly i don't know if its a bug from mediaportal or FTR: http://www.4therecord.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2689&p=22584#p22584

Bottom line, i used to install MP without the posibility to watch TV (using argus instead of tvserver).

If i choose this option during MP installation, MediaPortal works fine. When i install FTR 1.7.0.0 (with 1.3.0a patch) it results in an error regarding TVControl.dll during the startup of the configuration. When i try to hit OK in the configuration part it results in an error.

When I install MP with the TV functionality and after that I install FTR all works fine (only then i have TV server installed which should be unnessecery).

-- I'll try and post logs tonight, only don't know which logs i should post because the error isn't inside MP itself.

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You do need to install TVServer even if you are not going to use it (disable in services), there are necessary files required by MP for TV.

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You do need to install TVServer even if you are not going to use it (disable in services), there are necessary files required by MP for TV.
    With version 1.2.x this isnt nessesery, you can choose to not watch tv and still use FTR.

If its intentional its fine by me, but for sure this behaviour is different than the previous versions.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    With version 1.2.x this isnt nessesery, you can choose to not watch tv and still use FTR.

You sure that you did not go down the upgrade route previously, because if you did then the files would already exist.

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

You sure that you did not go down the upgrade route previously, because if you did then the files would already exist.
    yes i am, i always do a complete clean install when reinstalling MP or FTR (had a lot of problems (due to my hardware) so did a lot of reinstalling lately).

bushbrother

Portal Pro
    February 14, 2008
    UK
    Home Country
    Just to add that I have the same issue and I most definitely installed with the "I will not use MP to watch TV" option ticked. Since then I have only upgraded, so the files would not have been present. This has only occurred since installing 1.3.0a so I agree that something changed in the install procedure or a check has been added. I guess we just need to decide where it should be fixed :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

@mhoogenbosch: post all logs if you want to post logs. Use the standard MP log gathering procedure. There is a configuration.log for MP configuration.

Having said that...

If you install MP with or without the MP TV Server then MP works, right?

If you install MP with the 4TR plugin using Argus then you have the problem.

So the problem seems only be introduced when the 4TR plugin and/or server are introduced.
    To me that clearly says "4TR issue".
    Therefore, my opinion is that the 4TR devs should fix whatever is causing this.
    We certainly try to maintain compatibility with 3rd party plugins, but there is a limit to what we will do. Our focus has to remain on keeping the components that we control working.

mm

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi folks

@mhoogenbosch: post all logs if you want to post logs. Use the standard MP log gathering procedure. There is a configuration.log for MP configuration.
    I'll do that in a sec. My main HTPC is running fine now, but will reproduces on my laptop and send the logs.

If you install MP with or without the MP TV Server then MP works, right?
    indeed, works as expected

If you install MP with the 4TR plugin using Argus then you have the problem.
    Right

So the problem seems only be introduced when the 4TR plugin and/or server are introduced.
    To me that clearly says "4TR issue".
    Therefore, my opinion is that the 4TR devs should fix whatever is causing this.
    We certainly try to maintain compatibility with 3rd party plugins, but there is a limit to what we will do. Our focus has to remain on keeping the components that we control working.

mm
    Okay, well if that is your official standpoint its fine but then everybody should know this.

Now the problem is, when installing FTR with 1.2.3 there is no problem. With 1.3.0 there is. So, since 1.3.0 is still in alpha now is the time to take a standpoint in this.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    It would be good to know why 4TR has some issues. Is it expecting some TV related DLLs to be present? Those files won't be present if there is no tvclient installed (that is quite obvious). Not sure why it has been working with 1.2.3, maybe because the installer was pushing some tv related content when user selected no tv support or maybe it was leftover from some other install. Hard to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom