MP Crash on Music Import CD / Import Track (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3

Description
    MP consistently crashes when I try to import a track from an old compilation CD. The CD plays in MP. Since it is an old (second-hand) CD, it wouldn't surprise me if it had read errors. Nonetheless, I would expect MP's error handling to be robust enough to prevent a crash. I made logs using the MP debug tool, but it reported an error trying to zip a TsWriter file. To be on the safe side, I then used the tool to make a new zip file (attached), which was created without any error messages. I could reproduce the issue with different tracks on the CD.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Open "Music" in MP.
    2. Change View to "Shares"
    3. Open CD
    4. Select a track from the CD
    5. Pick either "Import CD" or "Import track" from the context menu.
    6. MP crashes.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    This has been an issue for quite some time, but not reported. Import CD always fails (regardless of which CD you are trying to import). It has to do with the temp folder not being accessible (or not being where MP expects it to be - not really sure as I didn't have time to investigate further). It is related to Vista/Win7, it works in Win XP.

I will create a mantis entry.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Tested this & it works here, so it this because nothing has been configured in MP Configuration in the first place or (I have configured the first but not all do that)?

Regards
    Roy

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    it depends on whether you have a "temp" folder where MP expects it to be (but couldn't figure out where that is) and the user has write access to it. It is not a problem in XP because MP can create the folder but in Vista/Win7 it has to be created beforehand.

Roy can you explain which configuration item you are referring to?
    Also could this depend on where the music library is placed?

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Settings is in MP Configuration -> Music -> Music Ripping.
    Music library is set there too & mine is set to local disc & not network where default is for rest of my music, maybe that make a difference .
    I'll try some more cd's later on another comp where it is not set to much in config yet.

Regards
    Roy

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Did some more tests. MP is trying to create a temp folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal.
    This is not allowed in Vista/Win7 unless MP is run as Administrator (which it shouldn't) or UAC is disabled.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    yeah, here I run without UAC here so that can be why it works here, anyway P should use the folder where it is allowed to write which is ProgamData.

Regards
    Roy

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Tested on other computer & that one has UAC on & yes it crashes there, so it is confirmed when UAC is enabled.

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom