mp crashes on start, hangs on initilizing direct x (1 Viewer)

rob whittaker

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
hi there guys
im having a serious problem
when startin mediaportal it hangs on intializing direct x everytime. when i reinstall the nvidia drivers it works fine until the pc restarts and then it will hang again.
I had this problem the first time i installed mediaportal and managed to fix it but that was so long ago now that i cannot for the life of me remember how i sorted the problem.
Ive uninstalled the drivers and loaded new ones. the old ones seem to work fine but i need to be able to use 3d.
as soon as i upgrade to the latest drivers the problem reoccurs, this happens whether i manually update the drivers or let windows update them...
any thoughts?
card is a gt440
win7 ultimate
i5

rob whittaker

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
oh just in case 64 bit[DOUBLEPOST=1343843206][/DOUBLEPOST]ooh i lie still doesnt work even with the old drivers...
it spits out the error
this sample cannot run in a desktop window with the current display settings. please change your desktop settings to a 16- or 32-bit display mode and re-run this sample.
ive tried installing directx 9 and trying to upgrade directx 11

Last edited:

rob whittaker

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
yeah something funny is definitley going on. last night i restored the pc to an earlier date and everything weas fine. reestarted it several times to test it no problems.
this morning its broken again...
gonna rebuild the pc when i get back from holiday AGAIN (4th time now in as many months)
so wish me luck!

its like the drivers arent installed everytime i turn the pc back on... aeros turned off and when i go to reinstall the drivers again its ike they never existed. seriously loosing the plot here...

Last edited:

rob whittaker

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
Just in case iever forget or someone else has the same problem, tgis was down to a windows update...

rob whittaker

Portal Member
February 28, 2012
Home Country
Actually i lie this was qll down to asus gamer osd. uninstalled taht and all soeted!YAY

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom