[confirm] MP crashes or is unable to start TV after hibernation mode (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    [2013-12-14 23:11:32,595] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TSReaderPlayer: Stream is Radio

TsReader log full of video continuity errors. Where are your TV Server logs please?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, so there are continuous continuity errors in the TsWriter log on the TV Server.
    ...but hang on one moment. Your logs and system specs suggest this is a single seat system. If that is true, it makes absolutely no sense to hibernate the PC while TV Server is recording. A very "artificial" scenario. Further, the TsWriter logs suggest that the continuity errors occur immediately on starting the recording (ie. before hibernation). In other words, signal quality problem?

PS: please learn to use the watchdog to collect log files:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

It gives us a more complete picture than individual log packages.

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Okay, so there are continuous continuity errors in the TsWriter log on the TV Server.
    ...but hang on one moment. Your logs and system specs suggest this is a single seat system. If that is true, it makes absolutely no sense to hibernate the PC while TV Server is recording. A very "artificial" scenario. Further, the TsWriter logs suggest that the continuity errors occur immediately on starting the recording (ie. before hibernation). In other words, signal quality problem?

PS: please learn to use the watchdog to collect log files:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

It gives us a more complete picture than individual log packages.
    The reason I started the recording just before the hibernate was to test a possible scenario that I thought I had noticed. No problems with signal either. I will need to check my system specs, This is my main HTPC, but I do watch from another pc aswell.
    I ended up also sending the full logs.
    Regards,
    Mark

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The reason I started the recording just before the hibernate was to test a possible scenario that I thought I had noticed. No problems with signal either.
    I understand why you tested it. From the supplied log files I just get the impression that you had problems recording that channel regardless of the scenario. When you resume, the recording also resumes and the same continuity errors can be observed. If you haven't got signal problems I suggest you use task manager to check HDD utilisation, because if the HDD is being thrashed then that would explain the audio-with-no-video.

The watchdog includes more than just log files - it includes your database connection settings and system event logs, which are often critical. It should also be more convenient to use as it automatically puts MP in debug mode for the session when using option 1. Just saying: it makes life easier for us, and I would have thought it also makes life easier for you.

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The reason I started the recording just before the hibernate was to test a possible scenario that I thought I had noticed. No problems with signal either.
    I understand why you tested it. From the supplied log files I just get the impression that you had problems recording that channel regardless of the scenario. When you resume, the recording also resumes and the same continuity errors can be observed. If you haven't got signal problems I suggest you use task manager to check HDD utilisation, because if the HDD is being thrashed then that would explain the audio-with-no-video.

The watchdog includes more than just log files - it includes your database connection settings and system event logs, which are often critical. It should also be more convenient to use as it automatically puts MP in debug mode for the session when using option 1. Just saying: it makes life easier for us, and I would have thought it also makes life easier for you.
    When I try to use the Watchdog mode all of my icons on the home screen disappear. I am using Titan Extended. So this is the main reason why I don't use the watchdog. I will try changing my skin next time.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @Snoopy87

please run: sfc /scannow (elevated commant prompt) on your system.
    After that check for driver updates.

And you might wanna take a look @ your event viewer:
    Applicaton log:
    Application_eventlog.PNG
    System log:
    System_eventlog.PNG

Responded to someone last week with exactly the same errors. Might be a coincidence, or we missed something with .NET 4. :cautious:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/freeze-after-standby.122596/page-4#post-1046545

Talking about .NET 4: i just had my MediaPortal install completely broken (wouldn't start MP or Config) after a simple reboot. It ran minutes before that.
    Even viewer also showed me issues with .NET 4:
    MP_NET issues.PNG
    Only way i could get it to work again was a re-install of the Client.

Worth a try is the .NET repair tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I try to use the Watchdog mode all of my icons on the home screen disappear. I am using Titan Extended. So this is the main reason why I don't use the watchdog. I will try changing my skin next time.
    Okay. Just to reiterate: my main point in posting was to ask you to check the HDD utilisation when you record from whatever channel that recording was on. Your TV Server is running with log level set to error so I can't tell you more unless you're able to set the log level to debug and post fresh log files.

markus_g

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Okay. Just to reiterate: my main point in posting was to ask you to check the HDD utilisation when you record from whatever channel that recording was on. Your TV Server is running with log level set to error so I can't tell you more unless you're able to set the log level to debug and post fresh log files.
    Hi,
    I ended up finding the skin to use. Titan Default worked for debug. First tried Default Wide but same as Titan extended with now icons on the home screen.

I had a look at the hard drive utilisation and it appears fine. Decided to try with 4 recording.

I then did the following.
    1) Started MP in debug mode.
    2) Started 4 recordings and watching live TV for 10 munutes.
    3) Stopped MP and logs were saved. Renamed to before.
    4) Started MP with debug and then placed into hibernate via MP on the home screen.
    5) Wakeup of PC.
    6) Went to watch live TV but found no spare card so I stopped 1 recording. System has 4 tunners. Note: Made a mistake and didn't choose the same network as the other recordings.
    7) Tried to watch Live TV and a black screen with no video or audio.
    8) Stopped MP and logs were saved. Renamed to after.
    9) Restart TV service didn't work this time. Internet explorer very slow in responding while sending this report.
    10) Stopped TV service and Internet explorer back to normal speed.
    11) Reboot Windows and all is now working correctly.

Regards,
    Markus

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks! (y)

6) Went to watch live TV but found no spare card so I stopped 1 recording. System has 4 tunners. Note: Made a mistake and didn't choose the same network as the other recordings.
    Resume at:
    [2013-12-15 10:38:21,888] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - TV service PowerEventThread 30

On resume, TV Server immediately attempted to restart the recordings. Initially:
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,340] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - dvb: RunGraph returns: 0x8007001F
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,340] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeSubChannel: subchannels count 1 subch#0
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,403] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - DVB subch:0 Decompose()
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,403] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - FreeSubChannel CA: freeing sub channel : 0
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,403] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeSubChannel : no subchannels present, pausing graph
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,403] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:topGraph called
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,403] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeAllSubChannels
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,403] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:topGraph filterstate already stopped, returning.
    [2013-12-15 10:38:22,418] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [ERROR] - Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.RunGraph(Int32 subChannel)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.DoTune(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel, Boolean ignorePMT)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.Tune(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel)

[2013-12-15 10:38:22,465] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [ERROR] - Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.RunGraph(Int32 subChannel)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.DoTune(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel, Boolean ignorePMT)
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDVBT.Tune(Int32 subChannelId, IChannel channel)
    at TvService.CardTuner.Tune(IUser& user, IChannel channel, Int32 idChannel)

This indicates the tuner driver was not ready for interaction.
    TV Server continued to retry. By 10:39:22, all five recordings were running again using all four tuners tuners. None of the restarted recordings are healthy - TsWriter log reports continuous continuity errors.

You attempt to tune Nine Digital:
    [2013-12-15 10:39:47,592] [Log ] [29 ] [INFO ] - Controller: find free card for channel Nine Digital

All four tuners are legitimately in use for your five recordings. You stop recording Weekend Breakfast and Xtreme Storm:
    [2013-12-15 10:40:16,718] [Log ] [42 ] [INFO ] - Scheduler: stop record ABC News 24 12/15/2013 10:39:22 AM-12/15/2013 11:00:00 AM Weekend Breakfast
    [2013-12-15 10:40:24,689] [Log ] [42 ] [INFO ] - Scheduler: stop record ONE 12/15/2013 10:38:54 AM-12/15/2013 10:29:00 AM Xtreme Storm

Now two tuners are free.
    Again you try to tune:
    [2013-12-15 10:40:43,550] [Log ] [42 ] [INFO ] - Controller: find free card for channel Nine Digital

This appears to be successful but for the ongoing continuity errors... which is to say that TV Server is getting a dirty feed from your tuners, or struggling to use your timeshift/record HDD.

You made no comment about HDD utilisation so I don't know if you checked it. Assuming it is okay (no continuity errors reported before hibernate this time), I think there is a strong possibility that you have one or more drivers that don't recover from hibernate well. Likely your tuner, network, chipset and/or IO (SATA/IDE) controller drivers.

I have three suggestions:
    1. In PowerScheduler configuration, enable expert mode and go to the "advanced" tab. Enable "reinitialise TV controller on wakeup".
    2. Write and schedule a devcon script to stop and restart the Quad tuner driver before and after hibernate/standby and resume.
    3. Simply don't use hibernate.

7) Tried to watch Live TV and a black screen with no video or audio.
    Again, this is a function of the fact that the feed from the tuners is dirty. It wouldn't matter if it was live TV or recording - same problem. This issue has nothing to do with MediaPortal and everything to do with TV Server and your hardware and drivers.

The reason I reported this was that the computer was put into hibernation by accident. I was reading through the forums and came across this report and was similar to what I experienced after coming out of hibernation. At that time I just rebooted the computer.
    I don't normally use hibernation. I have setup the motherboard bios to start the PC at 3:30 pm each day and have set windows to shutdown at 12:30 am each day.
    Okay. I can only repeat what I said about about drivers and hibernation support issues. Unfortunately this is not uncommon.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom