MP Crashes Randomly When Watching TV (1 Viewer)

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Area: Media Portal Program
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2006-03-11)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: NVIDIA Audio Decoder
    Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    Memory: 511 MB
    Motherboard: MK79G-1394 (AOpen)
    TV Card Model: Hauppage Nova-t (TT)
    TV Card Type: DVB-t
    TV Card Driver: 4.4.10.12
    Video Card Model: Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB)
    Video Card Driver: 8.191.0.0
    Video Card Resolution: 1024x576
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Audio Card Model: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
    Audio Card Driver: 6.14.462.0
    Synopsis::

While watching full screen TV, MP randomly crashes, unfortunately without leaving a trail for troubleshooting. I've experienced this three times now in the last 24 hours, and it is rather frustrating when you're watching timeshifted material... The 'mediaportal.log' file entries are all from before the crash happens, and there is nothing relating to the crash afterwards in the system's application log. I would appreciate some suggestions to try and troubleshoot this problem.

In general, 'My TV' is not working as well for me as it used to. When I first activate 'My TV' the audio is out of sync, and I have to rewind 15 seconds to get the sync. Also, switching channels now takes a long time (more than 5 seconds). Anybody else experiencing this too?

For completeness sake, in order to establish whether the actual system is working fine, I always perform similar tests within MS' Mediacentre itself: No TV related problems there (same codecs).

amnw14545

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2006
    Area: Media Portal Program
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2006-03-15)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    Audio Codec: NVIDIA Audio Decoder
    Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    Memory: 1 GB
    Motherboard: GA-K8NF9 Ultra (Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.)
    TV Card Model: Terratec 2400i DT
    TV Card Type: DVB
    TV Card Driver: 1.0.3.255
    Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce 6600 (256 MB)
    Video Card Driver: 8.1.9.8
    Video Card Resolution: 1360x768
    Video Render Type: VMR9
    Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Audio Card Driver: 5.10.0.5770

Yes, this happens to me too. Exits are seemingly random? Maybe associated with DVB EPG?

moviebuff03

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I too am having random crashes and MP simply closes without warning. Sometimes nothing is being posted in the error log. I have taken off grab DVB-EPG after a posting advised. This has not changed the sluggish behaviour of MP though.

I have lost 4 scheduled recordings as a result. On average, MP has crashed or ceased responding at least 5-6 times a day. Once a day is linked to the WebEPG and import process as I can match it with the time in the error log. Why? This does not explain the other occurances.

In answer to FlipGer's comment, I have installed all the recommended MS and MP patches, including the DVB patch and .NET, as well as the patch for dual DVB tuners.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Have you confirmed that the dual DVB patch "took". For most people just running the .bat file works fine, but for me it took ages of trying things out, rolling back to a restore point, editing the registry, to get windows to not just go back to using its faulty files.

moviebuff03

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To be honest, I am not to good with the registry, but prior to the CVS patch update, I was happy with both cards in that I could view and record at the same time.

I somehow think that the lack of video as the other post indicated is somehow related to an update, rather than a fault or hardware conflict with the system running dual cards as they have previously worked, albeit MP was very sluggish in recording/changing channels.

If I need to, what am I looking for in the registry and what should the correct settings be?

Thanks

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    It is probably best to stay out of the registry, as it is nearly impossible to mess with directshow filters in there and not screw it up (as I can attest to). I found the relevant keys by searching for the filenames and IDs).

amnw14545

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2006
    What's happening to me today, is that immediately on entrance to My TV, mediaportal has minimised itself - I wonder if that's what these "crashes" are, that it minmises itself and most people are hiding the task bar and don't see it?

Best to check your processes before assuming it has crashed ... I'll check next time it disappears

amnw14545

Portal Pro
    February 11, 2006
    Turning off DVB EPG grab makes no difference, system still crashes. No mediaportal in task list anymore.

Left it 5 hours playing DVB-T channel full screen. When I came back, found it had crashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom