MP doesn't recognise supported card (YUAN PG300) (1 Viewer)

dale_mac

Portal Pro
November 6, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
Area: Media Portal Program Configuration
MP Version: 0.1.3.0
Skin: Blue Two
Windows Version: XP Pro SP2
CPU Type: Intel Celeron 2.66
Memory: 512MB Generic
Motherboard Chipset: MSI P4MAM2-V
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9250
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 05.10
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Video Codec Type & Version: Nero
Audio Codec Type & Version: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM
TV Card: Yuan PG300
TV Card Type: DVB-T
TV Card Driver: PG300_V2006

Synopsis:
I am trying to get MP working with the card mentioned. I have had it working with a Compro Videomate DVB T300. I wanted to add an extra card so I could watch one channel and record another.
MP configuration doesn't see the Yuan card as a DVB card in Settings/Television/Capture cards.
I removed the Compro card and reinstalled MP, then installed the Yuan card by itself. In the setup wizard it does not give me a step to allow channel scanning.

When MP is finished setup, I get these choices of card:
PG300 Video Capture (General S/W encoding card)
PG300 AVStream TS Capture (General S/W encoding card)
PG300 Video Capture (General H/W encoding card)
PG300 AVStream TS Capture (General H/W encoding card)

There's no mention of DVB or BDA.
I think I should be getting a listing for "PG300 BDA DVB-T Tuner/demod" (That's what Windows sees).
If I try to add either of the AVStream choices, I get an error "Unable to create graph for this device".
Windows recognises it OK, and the application that came with the card works properly.

Is it possible that the card has a new hardware name that MP doesn't recognise anymore?
Can I change it?
How did other users of this card get it to work?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi dale_mac,

If you have a look at the information towards the bottom of the Natively supported cards list, you will see some instructions on how to check if the moniker for your particular card is included in the "CaptureCardDefinitions.xml" file. It is possible that your card is different to what is included by default.

dale_mac

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks a lot, Taipan.
    I opened CaptureCardDefinitions.xml in notepad, cloned the information from my Compro T300 card and edited it with the information provided by Graphedit, and it worked!
    The only thing for others to note is that the instructions tell you to copy the section relating to a known working card and paste it at the end of the file.
    Don't paste it right at the end. Put it between the last two lines. ie: between </capturecard> & </capturecards> otherwise it will be ignored.
    Next challenge... get my two cards to play nicely together.
    Thanks again!

dale_mac

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    After spending some time at the weekend trying to sort this out, I am at a loss.
    As I said, the card now works since I changed the CaptureCardDefinition file (the video, audio and sections&tables were assigned to the wrong pins).
    The problem now is that the recording function doesn't work, I can only watch TV.
    When I start MyTV, the timeshift button is not active. If I click on it, the TV window goes blank (no video, no sound), the "TV on" button switches off and the timeshift button goes dim. There is no hard drive activity.
    If I try to set something to record now, the same thing happens except that there is an entry in sheduled recording which is just "waiting" (It doesn't actually record anything).
    If I set a sheduled recording, the TV goes blank at the set time and the same "waiting" thing happens. I didn't wait to see what would happen when the program was supposed to stop recording.
    Can anyone steer me in the right direction with what is going on with this card?
    I think it is still something to do with the CaptureCardDefinition file but I don't know what else to look for.

dale_mac

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I sent an email to dman_lfc last month to ask if this card can have support added.
    I've checked the latest cvs builds and there are no new entries for this card in the capturecarddefinitions.xml file.
    Is it too soon to expect it to be included?
    Does anyone know if there is something else I can do from my end to get this card to work correctly?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    You probably did, but just to make sure, did you include your work so far in the email you sent D-Man?
    It's pretty obvious but I get the impression that a lot of people don't (D-Man is pretty patient).

Also, I guess during this time of year things take longer to get done.

Why not post your modifications to the xml here so we all can check it for errors? Also, take a look in the MP log files to see what the error is that you are getting that stops recording.
    These logs get long, so restart MP, go straight to record and then stop again. You want as little as possible in the log (except for the errors of course).

Cheers,

Marcus.

dale_mac

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Marcus,
    I only sent D-Man the information specified in a post somewhere, which included a word document with a Graphedit screenshot and other info related to the card. I (stupidly) didn't send the info on changes I had made.
    It's not much though.

The original PG300 definition is this:

<capturecard commercialname="YUAN DVB PG300" capturename="PG300 BDA Transport Stream Capture" devid="ven_14f1&amp;dev_8802&amp;subsys_230012ab&amp;rev_05">
    <capabilities tv="true" radio="false" mpeg2="true" mce="false" sw="false" bda="true"></capabilities>
    <tv>
    <interface cat="capture" video="3" audio="4" mpeg2="1" sectionsandtables="2"></interface>
    <filters>
    <filter cat="networkprovider" name="Microsoft DVBT Network Provider" checkdevice="false"></filter>
    <filter cat="tunerdevice" name="PG300 BDA DVB-T Tuner/Demod" checkdevice="true"></filter>
    <filter cat="capture" name="PG300 BDA Transport Stream Capture" checkdevice="true"></filter>
    </filters>
    <connections>
    <connection sourcefilter="networkprovider" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="tunerdevice" sinkpin="0"></connection>
    <connection sourcefilter="tunerdevice" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="capture" sinkpin="0"></connection>
    </connections>
    </tv>
    </capturecard>

I changed it using info gathered from Graphedit to this:

<capturecard commercialname="Yuan Stratford PG300 (V2.0.0.6)" capturename="PG300 AVStream TS Capture" devid="ven_14f1&amp;dev_8802&amp;subsys_230012ab&amp;rev_05">
    <capabilities tv="true" radio="false" mpeg2="true" mce="false" sw="false" bda="true"></capabilities>
    <tv>
    <interface cat="capture" video="2" audio="3" mpeg2="1" sectionsandtables="5"></interface>
    <filters>
    <filter cat="networkprovider" name="Microsoft DVBT Network Provider" checkdevice="false"></filter>
    <filter cat="tunerdevice" name="PG300 BDA DVB-T Tuner/Demod" checkdevice="true"></filter>
    <filter cat="capture" name="PG300 AVStream TS Capture" checkdevice="true"></filter>
    </filters>
    <connections>
    <connection sourcefilter="networkprovider" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="tunerdevice" sinkpin="0"></connection>
    <connection sourcefilter="tunerdevice" sourcepin="0" sinkfilter="capture" sinkpin="0"></connection>
    </connections>
    </tv>
    </capturecard>

As you can see, the only real change is in the interface section.
    That got viewing to work, but recording and timeshifting don't.
    I don't have the card installed at the moment, but I'm getting a new Silverstone PC case next week, so when I transfer the hardware I'll put it back in and check the logs.
    I guess in the meantime, if anyone can see a mistake in what I've done, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom