robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Sorry to double post on this question, but my question is lost under a different thread title (which no new people are reading) and so I am hoping there might be others who can help on this new thread.

I am having problems getting MP to go into standby or hibernate.

If I let powerscheduler do it, or even use the buttons at the top of the MP home screen, the TV server immediately stops but MP continues to run and then after about 20 seconds comes up with a message telling me "Connection to TV service lost". (note: if I use the "shutdown" or "reboot" options on the MP home screen, MP closes without problem instantly).

I have tried MPstandbyhandler and done the following:

- Run the "install.cmd" script.
    - Reboot the Machine.
    - Start MPstandbyHandlerGui.exe
    - Added MediaPortalStop and set to "kill immediately" to "True".
    - Checked the "Autostart Userspace Executable" checkbox in MPstandbyHandlerGui and restarted the system.

If I then run MP in a window (i.e. not full screen) and use the test suspend function in the MPstandbyhandlerGUI, it closes MP perfectly.

If I then run MP normally and let it hibernate from powerscheduler, I get the same error as described at the start of this post.

Am I doing something wrong with MPstandbyhandler, or do I have another problem? Any help would be very much appreciated.

I am running MP 1.0.2 with the TV server and MP client on the same PC with powerscheduler configured on the server and client. Also, normal windows hibernate is enabled and works fine when MP is not running.

Thanks in advance.

Robbo100

P.S. I am running windows XP SP3 and have also tried MCE Standby Tool (Slick Solutions - Home of the MCE Standby Tool (MST)), but with no success either.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Also, normal windows hibernate is enabled and works fine

Can we break this down, firstly windows power scheme needs to be disabled.

TVService should not shutdown when going into standby

Secondly, if you do not have MP running does the machine go into standby\wake for recordings ok with the powerscheduler settings you have, that takes MP out of the equation.

Personally found MCEstandby tool has a habit of breaking things, as its settings remain after uninstallation, so any misconfiguration stays with the OS :(

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Ray,

Thanks for your quick reply (by the way, thanks for your answers to my other questions, they were very helpful).

OK, I hope this should clarify things:

firstly windows power scheme needs to be disabled
    . - I have set the Hibernate to "Never" in the windows power settings, but hibernate is enabled under the "hibernate" tab within the power settings (otherwise it doesn't write the hibernate file to the hard drive - is this correct?).

TVService should not shutdown when going into standby
    - I am not sure I have described it correctly - I suppose if the system has to hibernate, then the TV service has to go into a non-functioning state, but for some reason, after this happens the hibernation stops and so it is left with the TVservice "paused" but the MP client still running. (or I may be talking rubbish :))

if you do not have MP running does the machine go into standby\wake for recordings ok with the powerscheduler settings you
    - Ahh, I didn't realise that the TV server did this independently without MP running. That is an excellent tip, I shall check now and get back to you - need to shut down the laptop I am using to post on the forum so that the HTPC goes into hibernation as it has WOL set.

MCEstandby tool has a habit of breaking things, as its settings remain after uninstallation
    - oh bugger:D. Well I have only installed it after I found things not working, so hopefully it hasn't made things worse!:(

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    OK.

Firstly I removed any settings from MPstandbyhandler, clicked OK and did a reboot to make sure it was back to standard.

I ran the test with the TV Server running in the background and the MP client shutdown.

I displayed the task manager on the desktop and also MCE Standby Tool (the latest version has a "win idle" tab which displays if any services are stopping hibernation.

I have the TV server set to hibernate after 2 mins, and to not wake for EPG or any other services and also to force hibernation.

I had 99% idle and no services using the display or the system and I left the PC for 30 minutes with out toughing the mouse, keyboard or remote and with all the other PCs on the network switched off.

Sadly nothing happened over the 30 mins and it is still awake as I type. :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Robbo100

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I have set the Hibernate to "Never" in the windows power settings, but hibernate is enabled under the "hibernate" tab within the power settings (otherwise it doesn't write the hibernate file to the hard drive - is this correct?).

Yes :)

These are my settings

sshot-40.jpg sshot-41.jpg
    sshot-42.jpg sshot-43.jpg

If you know that Windows power settings work fine, then you might want to look at ForTheRecord, as this uses nothing but windows power settings for its standby\resume, so ALL powerscheduler components are disabled and handled by FTR.

We know that some systems do not work well with standby or hibernate, always worthwhile trying both options to see if one does not work, the other might, this does depend on the motherboard make though.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    I shall give for the record a try tonight and tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thank for your continued help

Robbo

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have set the Hibernate to "Never" in the windows power settings, but hibernate is enabled under the "hibernate" tab within the power settings (otherwise it doesn't write the hibernate file to the hard drive - is this correct?).

Yes :)

These are my settings

View attachment 40106 View attachment 40107
    View attachment 40108 View attachment 40109

If you know that Windows power settings work fine, then you might want to look at ForTheRecord, as this uses nothing but windows power settings for its standby\resume, so ALL powerscheduler components are disabled and handled by FTR.

We know that some systems do not work well with standby or hibernate, always worthwhile trying both options to see if one does not work, the other might, this does depend on the motherboard make though.

What needs to be changed for these settings if one wants to wake the computer to grab EPG using WEBEPG every night at 3 am?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    You need to activate 3 things, the time\days in powerscheduler\epg tab and prevent standby whilst grabbing epg, add webepg to the process tab.
    In MP config\plugins, enable the webepg grabber and set days\time there as well, put time 1 minute after resume time in powerscheduler, this requires MP to be loaded.

You also need to configure the xmltv plugin in TVServer config.

Or alternatively create a task schedule in windows to run webepg nightly, which is what I normally do :)

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    I know this might sound silly, but just in case!

It's not clear from your earlier posts whether you are aware that Powerscheduler has to be configured both in TVServer setup AND MP configuration. Both need to be set to the same delay period and MP should also be configured to go into standy only when idle on Home Screen.

And yes, you should use Windows task scheduler to create a task to wake the machine up to do EPG grabbing and then let Powersheduler put it back to sleep.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    You need to activate 3 things, the time\days in powerscheduler\epg tab and prevent standby whilst grabbing epg, add webepg to the process tab.
    In MP config\plugins, enable the webepg grabber and set days\time there as well, put time 1 minute after resume time in powerscheduler, this requires MP to be loaded.

You also need to configure the xmltv plugin in TVServer config.

Or alternatively create a task schedule in windows to run webepg nightly, which is what I normally do :)

Thanks I'll probably use the task scheduler then. That will both wake the computer as well as prevent it from sleeping as long as webepg is writing the file right? Or will I have to set the "timer" in MP/TVS config long enough for it to complete the write?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom