MP Freezing when resuming (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I am trying to track down one problem at a time lately, the most recent the sudden decision the PC has made to stop resuming correctly.

The machine resumes, MePo is unresponsive and displays the time in the upper corner of the skin as the time that it went to sleep. I notice it doesn't wake up my TVserver machine (although that could be to do with that machine as its even more a nightmare for sleeping) but windows is fine. I can plug in my keyboard, fire up task manager and kill MePo. I had a quick nose in my error logs and there was some error logs being written at 7.30am (when I resumed the machine) related to not being able to wake the TVServer. But I'm guessing that shouldn't be stalling MePo to the point I have to hard boot the system or break out task manager.. so if anyone could take a look at the logs or suggest something to try, that would be appreciated :)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i experience this also. It has to do with the network reinitialising after standby resumes. The PC needs to warm up a little before it continues to work again smoothly. Once its good and ready, MP is fine again. Sometimes its a minute or 2. You can turn ON the option in config to make MP totally restart itself after a resume which should minimise this issue.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    2 minutes to reinitialize the network?! kinda ruins the whole idea of having sleep and hibernation on computers! My network doesn't take two minutes to reinitialize, I can access my network shares immediately so maybe MePo has some issue with the network?

So this time I left it to see if it would come back as you suggest. 9 minutes and counting so far and its still sat unresponsive with the time displayed when it went to sleep so it would appear MePo crashed.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Well I was hoping to avoid doing that and understand if there is something I have done which has started making it unstable because sometimes it resumes fine.. the fast resume was a feature I liked about the machine. But yes I guess I will have to enable this. Thanks.

jsc2013

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2013
    Home Country
    Can confirm I also get this problem (i.e. MP freezing when going to sleep and showing the freeze time in the top r/h corner) with 1.3.0, but not with 1.2.3.

It happens mayby 5% of the time - 95% of the time it restarts fine.

Enabling restart on resume is, IMO a crude workaround, especially if you have a slow system.

I have never waited to see if MP comes back to life - do the dev's have any idea why this happens? (I have been meaning to enable logging, but keep forgetting!)

JC

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I left it, it never comes back to life. Restarting does fix the issue, but I agree it's not ideal :(
    I think it may have something to do with it not being able to wake the TV server in my case. But I need to figure out why it isn't waking before I can test if its ok when it does. That or a network issue like Silent says. I've also enabled a wait on resume of 10 seconds but I don't even see what that is doing.

alpinestars

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can confirm I also get this problem (i.e. MP freezing when going to sleep and showing the freeze time in the top r/h corner) with 1.3.0, but not with 1.2.3.

+1, same for me! Never had this with 1.2.3

2meterjoe

Portal Member
    July 28, 2006

+1, same for me! Never had this with 1.2.3

+1, same here with 1.3.0, never had this before...

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    For what its worth I ended up setting MP to restart on wake in the settings which worked around the issue. But when I updated to 1.4 - which appeared to clear out some settings so my restart MP on wake defaulted back to off - I no longer have this issue. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Is updating to 1.4 an option for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom