MP front end freezes when recording 1 channel and watching second (1 Viewer)

lgulseth

Portal Member
October 7, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1.0
MediaPortal Skin: DefaultWide
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 3800+ 201Ghz
HDD: Western Digital 750GB Caviar Black
Memory:
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-e-SLI
Video Card: ATI All-in-Wonder HD
Video Card Driver: 8.892.0.0
Sound Card: (on-board) C-Media Superior Quality Audio 7.1 channel
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.2.4219
1. TV Card: ATI All-in-Wonder HD
1. TV Card Type: ATSC
1. TV Card Driver: 8.892.0.0
2. TV Card: AverTV Hybrid Volar Max USB
2. TV Card Type: ATSC
2. TV Card Driver: 2.0.0.126
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: ATI MPEG Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec (? from 2002)
Cooling: Standard fans
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Power 350W
Remote: ASUS MCE compatible
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

The MP front end will freeze while a channel is being recorded after 30-60s of watching a second channel. When it freezes, the front end will not allow Ctrl+Alt+Del to come to the front and kill MP and create a log file....it makes me whole hand restart XP (i.e. yank the power manually :mad: ). When the front end is frozen and I Ctrl+Alt+Del things on the desktop (task bar & Task Manager) flash through the front end graphics, but cannot be clicked on. I have tried running it with WatchDog, and no log file was created since the front end was never killed.
Earlier tonight, I was watching ABC when a scheduled recording on CBS started.... it locked up in 30-60s. I left it on, hoping that the recording was fine at the server since the time (in the upper right of the Home screen) continued to stay current. After the other 2 schedule programs, I killed the power and restarted to check the video to find that only 27s of the first show was recorded, none of the other 2. :mad:
When the front end freezes, I am able to use the back button on the remote (or the green media button) to get back to the Home screen, but it will not close the front end.
So now I'm confused as to how I should debug this and provide logs for help. Thoughts?

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there

reproduce the problem
    wait a few minutes after it hangs then restart pc
    use option 3 of watchdog to collect logs

lgulseth

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Re: MP freezes when using two tuners

Hi there

reproduce the problem
    wait a few minutes after it hangs then restart pc
    use option 3 of watchdog to collect logs

Thanks for the help understanding what option 3 is for.

I have since discovered while on vacation that the problem is not the front end, it seems the All-in-Wonder HD does not play nicely with the AverTV Hybrid Volar Max. While on vacation, I had programs scheduled to record, the first two started at the same time. When I returned, I found both recordings lasted 27seconds. Today, as a test, I set a program to record at 11am, closed the front end, and opened TV-server config and stopped and restarted the service. After the recording started again, I started time shifting on a second channel, and the config window ceased to respond. Windows finally asked if I wanted to close the non-responsive window about 11:15am. Attached are the logs for this test and when I tried to stop the recording. Thanks all for the help.

Luther

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Hi Luther

Today, as a test, I set a program to record at 11am, closed the front end, and opened TV-server config and stopped and restarted the service. After the recording started again, I started time shifting on a second channel, and the config window ceased to respond.
    It would have ceased to respond for 20 seconds as the PMT (program map table - the channel video and audio stream list) for the second channel that you tried to timeshift on (CBS2 HD) was not found. TV Server configuration should have started responding again after that. Are you certain it was frozen (and not showing a hidden popup message or something)?

Windows finally asked if I wanted to close the non-responsive window about 11:15am.
    That's not quite how I interpret what happened. In the system event log I see:

"10/12/2011 12:11:10 PM";"Dhcp";"(0)";"Error";"The IP address lease 10.1.1.50 for the Network Card with network address 001BFCB14969 has been denied by the DHCP server 10.1.1.11 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).";"1002"

In other words, the DHCP lease on the IP address that your network adapter was using happened to run out and it had to get a new IP address. TV Server relies on having a stable connected network connection - when the connection changed, TV Server configuration got thrown for a spin. This is why we recommend using a static IP address or the loopback adapter.

Are you able to perform the same test again and see what happens?

mm

lgulseth

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country

I have set static IP now.

Are you certain it was frozen (and not showing a hidden popup message or something)?

Yes, I'm very certain. Attached is a screen shot and two logs. The first log is from having to kill the MP Front End after trying to watch a second channel during a recording. The screen shot shows the MP Config screen after I tried to select Manual Control. Then the second log is after the screen shot and Ctrl+Alt+Del killing the MP Config.
    the recording I scheduled to start at 9am was last modified at 9:04am, is still locked 44min later, and is currently 788,344KB. After I post this, I will restart and see if the file size or modified-time changes.

Luther

Attachments

• MP_Config-frozen.JPG
      MP_Config-frozen.JPG
      168.9 KB

lgulseth

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country

The recording I scheduled to start at 9am was last modified at 9:04am, is still locked 44min later, and is currently 788,344KB. After I post this, I will restart and see if the file size or modified-time changes.

The recording file size and modified time have not changed. I have attached the XML file in case it might provide some value. Thanks all for the help.

Luther

Attachments

• Good Day Chicago - FOX - 2011-10-13_2.xml
      1 KB

lgulseth

Portal Member
    October 7, 2011
    Home Country
    Anyone have any ideas why these cards don't play nicely? Thanks all for the help.

Luther

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom