[other] MP Full Screen Interface Resizing on Resume (1 Viewer)

Cetra

Portal Member
May 9, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 Beta (Latest SVN)
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64 RTM
CPU Type: E8400 @ Stock
HDD: 60GB OCZ SSD
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Video Card: Nvidia 9400 IGP
Video Card Driver: 186.xx - Latest
Sound Card: Nvidia HDMI
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia PureVideoHD
MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDShow
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Origen AE S10V
Cooling: Scythe Shuriken 1100
Power Supply: Corsair HX620
Remote: Harmony One
TV: Denon 1909 Receiver to Samsung PN50A450
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Not entirely sure if this can be classified as a bug rather than unexpected functionality. This issue is described in this thread as well: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/operating-system-330/windows-7-half-fullscreen-71785/

The issue is the Media Portal interface resizes itself to resolutions smaller than the actual screen resolution coming out of standby. For example I am running my HTPC connected to a TV at 1366x768 resolution. Coming out of standby the Media Portal interface in full screen will set itself to an odd resolution like 560 x 700. This seems to be related to how the HDMI handshake process works in switches on some receivers and how Windows 7 detects screen resolution of connected devices. If you turn on the PC during this handshake process between the TV and receiver then the screen resolution is temporarily being reported wrong by Windows and Media Portal is picking this up and sizing itself incorrectly.

This problem can be reproduced by:

Putting a PC connected to a receiver in standby while Media Portal is in full screen mode.
Turn off the connected receiver.
Bring the PC out of standby mode before turning on the receiver.

It seems that if you turn on the receiver and TV first and let the HDMI handshake between the two establish, then bring the PC out of standby, you won't run into this issue. You can also do two quick ALT-Enter keystrokes to work around this problem without restarting.

I've been having interface issues with Media Portal, all version since the Windows 7 Beta. I waited out the release of the RTM and various Nvidia drivers to be sure this issue wasn't going to resolve on its own. Unfortunately it hasn't. The problem could be sourced from various components such as how the HDMI switch in some receivers work, how Windows 7 detects displays or how the drivers themselves establish the HDMI handshake, however it's becoming clear this problem isn't going to be resolved on those ends. It's also worth noting that Windows Media Center does not suffer from this problem.

Would it be possible to look into implementing a fix/workaround for this problem in Media Portal itself? For one it seems that Media Portal attempts to query the screen resolution coming out of standby. Is there any reason for this? Couldn't Media Portal just establish the full screen resolution only when first starting up or if you move to or from windowed mode?

If not, is there a way we can specify and force a full screen resolution and ignore the reported screen resolution by Windows?

Thanks for looking into this if you are able to. It's becoming quite annoying having to fix the fullscreen resolution every time I bring my HTPC out of standby.

Edit - Throwing in a visual of the problem just in case the description isn't quite enough.

Attachments

• mp_bug.jpg
    mp_bug.jpg
    119.7 KB

AlexP0wr

Portal Member
February 25, 2009
I have exactly the same problem. The only difference is that I have an ATI card and running a higer resolution (1920*1080).

Additional info:
- It sometimes resizes back to full screen after ~1 minute and switches to the menu with the 3 buttons (close, reboot, shutdown menu). But this is only 25% of all occurences :-(.
- The same thing occurs when turning off the TV and leaving on my receiver and then turning the TV back on -OR- turning both TV and receiver off and then on again.

TV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 (connected to receiver using HDMI)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V 661 (connected to HTPC using HDMI)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Reason for this is simple, fixing....?

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 Beta (Latest SVN)
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
    Windows Version: Windows 7 x64 RTM
    CPU Type: E8400 @ Stock
    HDD: 60GB OCZ SSD
    Memory: 4GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
    Video Card: Nvidia 9400 IGP
    Video Card Driver: 186.xx - Latest
    Sound Card: Nvidia HDMI
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card:
    1. TV Card Type:
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia PureVideoHD
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDShow
    h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Origen AE S10V
    Cooling: Scythe Shuriken 1100
    Power Supply: Corsair HX620
    Remote: Harmony One
    TV: Denon 1909 Receiver to Samsung PN50A450
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Not entirely sure if this can be classified as a bug rather than unexpected functionality. This issue is described in this thread as well: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/operating-system-330/windows-7-half-fullscreen-71785/

The issue is the Media Portal interface resizes itself to resolutions smaller than the actual screen resolution coming out of standby. For example I am running my HTPC connected to a TV at 1366x768 resolution. Coming out of standby the Media Portal interface in full screen will set itself to an odd resolution like 560 x 700. This seems to be related to how the HDMI handshake process works in switches on some receivers and how Windows 7 detects screen resolution of connected devices. If you turn on the PC during this handshake process between the TV and receiver then the screen resolution is temporally being reported wrong by Windows and Media Portal is picking this up and sizing itself incorrectly.

This problem can be reproduced by:

Putting a PC connected to a receiver in standby while Media Portal is in full screen mode.
    Turn off the connected receiver.
    Bring the PC out of standby mode before turning on the receiver.

It seems that if you turn on the receiver and TV first and let the HDMI handshake between the two establish, then bring the PC out of standby, you won't run into this issue. You can also do two quick ALT-Enter keystrokes to work around this problem without restarting.

I've been having interface issues with Media Portal, all version since the Windows 7 Beta. I waited out the release of the RTM and various Nvidia drivers to be sure this issue wasn't going to resolve on its own. Unfortunately it hasn't. The problem could be sourced from various components such as how the HDMI switch in some receivers work, how Windows 7 detects displays or how the drivers themselves establish the HDMI handshake, however it's becoming clear this problem isn't going to be resolved on those ends. It's also worth noting that Windows Media Center does not suffer from this problem.

Would it be possible to look into implementing a fix/workaround for this problem in Media Portal itself? For one it seems that Media Portal attempts to query the screen resolution coming out of standby. Is there any reason for this? Couldn't Media Portal just establish the full screen resolution only when first starting up or if you move to or from windowed mode?

If not, is there a way we can specify and force a full screen resolution and ignore the reported screen resolution by Windows?

Thanks for looking into this if you are able to. It's becoming quite annoying having to fix the fullscreen resolution every time I bring my HTPC out of standby.

Edit - Throwing in a visual of the problem just in case the description isn't quite enough.

I have exactly same problem. Reason is simply display driver. My Nvidia behaves so that: When i turn off tv, nothing happens, but when i turn on tv, really strange things happens. Nvidia driver changes resolution twice. First to native resolution of my tv(1024x768), and then to 720p, which i use with htpc. If i set from Nv control panel that i want to use pc-resolutions instead of hdtv resolution, then driver works okay. Ie, it won't jump between resolutions. On those res changes windows fires up WM_DISPLAYCHANGE message which MP can receive, if wanted. But what to do with it, I dunno yet. And One strange thing is that when i turn off my tv, I won't get SC_MONITORPOWER in WM_SYSCOMMAND message, so i guess Nvidia driver won't send it. Simplest solution would be that NVidia driver won't change resolution at all when turning tv on/off.

On the another hand, it would be very neat functionality, if SC_MONITORPOWER could be detected reliably. It would enable features like, like suspend MP when turning off TV, and resume when TV is turned on, but it might be just a dream.:D

Regards,

Emilio

Portal Member
    August 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Nvidia FX5500 and Mediaportal 1.0.2. Same problem. When Windows restart from suspend mode, resize de screen from 800x600 to 640x480, Mediaportal don't resize. I have not this problem with a Nvidia 6600 neither with Ati Radeon 9200 (witch is not compatible with Directx 9 and don't work with Mediaportal > 1.0.0)

hofi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 19, 2009
    Ardagger Markt
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: MP Full Screen Interface Resizing on Resume

I have the same Problem!
    MP1.1 RC1 - DENON AVR1910 - Philips TV

LeJimster

Portal Member
    September 5, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Same problem here, running Windows 7 & nvidia GF9300 chipset with HDMI.

It's quite annoying IDD. Can I ask, does this happen on Vista or XP? I'm half tempted to change OS' if things were to improve.

gryphonnz

Portal Member
    June 30, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have the same problem.

Note that it also happens if I simply turn the TV off, and on again - I can hear the windows hotplug device removed sound when I turn the TV off, and the device detected sound when I turn it on, and when the picture returns, mediaportal is in the top 1/4 of the screen.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Please re-report problems with the RC version(s) in the RC Forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom