MP goes black and white watching mkv files (1 Viewer)

Drimincus

Portal Member
March 8, 2010
Netherlands Netherlands
Like binary black-and-white, not grey scale. The first few minutes typically work well but then it goes black and white (keeps playing, though).

Stopping the movie or going to the menu shows a black and white version of everything (so it's not just the movie playing, it's mediaportal itself). MP still responds to commands. Closing MP gives me a full-colour screen again.
I've watched tv and used online videos, both work fine as far as I tested it.
I reinstalled MP to no avail (without any plugins other than titan extended.)

Playing the same file (I tested a few MKV files) in either VLC or MPC-HC gives no problems.

I've used SAF and ffdshow tryouts (even though I didn't think it's a codec issue).

I couldn't find anything that seems related (to my relatively untrained eye) in the logs (neither MP logs nor windows event viewer). If you need to see any specific logs I'd be happy to upload it.

This started when I did a new clean XP install and installed MP 1.4 (I used 1.3 previously on the same XP version, though before a reinstall without this issue). All the specs for my HTPC in my profile are up to date.

[edit] I forgot to mention, if I close MP and start it back up again, it'll show in colours and work normally. Playing a MKV file again will result in the same behavior; after a minute or so the screen will go to a binary black and white.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C video wont open, screen goes black and reverts to video menu General Support 3
bta489 [solved] System goes to Standby during Amazon Prime Playback OnlineVideos 2
A 1.24.0 MP config goes very small and unreadable if called from MP with F2 1.24 Pre Release 0
I MP Server goes into suspend, because it doesn't detect the MP Client General Support 6
Edwardfc [solved] Mp 2.2.1 Configuration Issues - Goes to Sleep while playing Music General 6
P Clicking on channel in epg goes nothing General 2
megahorst Mediaportal chrashs when the PC goes to suspend mode (or when it resumes?) 1.19 11
Terra Homepage How to enable .NET 3.5 for MP1 goes to a 404 page Website/Forum/Wiki Feedback 0
G [solved] Black Screen on all videos after upgrading to either 1.23 or 1.24 from 1.22 General Support 4
H random black screen live tv and videos (amended) General Support 0
G Occasional Black screen on Live TV and Recorded TV Watch / Listen Media 5
Terra some H265 videos stay black, audio is playing General Support 4
doskabouter Black screen while watching some iptv streams General Support 2
T frequent black screen no audio on playback NOT from beginning Watch / Listen Media 0
G MadVR, black TV Picture 1.20 Pre Release 1
C Black Gold Tuner Support General 4
A MP2 Black Screen General 6
gibman changing TV ch. causes black screen pause. Archive 1
joEhSuper 1.18.0 Black Screen after Return from Powersafe Mode Archive 0
D Time does not fit in white space 1.22 Pre Release 6
Top Bottom