MP hanging in multiseat when TV-Server turned off (1 Viewer)

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
If you start MP with the TV pluign installed and configured MP will hang if the TV server is turned off. The same thing happens if you start the config program. This makes it impossible to watch a movie or listen to music with MP which if configured for multiseat if the TV server is turned off.

IMHO only the tv section should be affected on a multiseat client if the tv server is turned off and not the whole app.

grubi.

Zorg

Portal Pro
June 12, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Same problem here.
I'm an user of MP from the very beginning and the only problem I can't get rid of is this one:
MP hangs in the client as soon as the server is off.
Sometimes I just want to have on the computer with the client to see my movies, I don't want to watch TV, and I'm fed up, because it's always the same problem, if the computer with the server is off, MP doesn't work properly in the client.
I'm always forced to turn on the computer with the server (and spend electricity just for nothing, because I really don't need that computer on).

I would appreciate very much some help.
Thank you in advance

P.S. I'm using last version of MP in Windows 7. I'm also using the program For the record, just in case it has something to do with thi issue.​

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Zorg

No need to double post. ;)
    There is a "wait for TV Server" setting in the "general" -> "startup/resume settings" of MP configuration:
    1.png

On a multi-seat setup I think that setting should be available for you to change.
    If not, you can edit the MediaPortal.xml file manually in any text editor such as notepad. Search for "<entry name="wait for tvserver">yes</entry>" and change "yes" to "no".
    MediaPortal.xml can be found in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal. Note that is a hidden folder, so you either need to enable viewing of hidden and system files (google) or paste the path into the address bar in Windows Explorer.

mm

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you very much for your answer (and sorry for the double post)

The thing is I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work, because it seems that the problem has to do with the For the record plugin (that tries to connect to the server by itself).
    As soon as I disable the For the record plugin in the client, I can use MediaPortal on that client, with the server off. On the contrary MP hangs and is a mess, it doesn't work properly.

I would like to know if it is a way to disable that plugin without entering into the MP configuration, some command line to use in a bat file or something like that.
    Quite often, when I'm watching a DVD or any film using MP in the client, and the TVserver stops because the server PC hibernates after having recorded some TV program, then MP in the client doesn't work properly, and the solutions are:
    - turning on the computer with the server.
    - or, as i found recently, disable the For the record plugin, but it's a bit of a pain, because I have to close MP, enter in MP configuration, disable FTR plugin, and reopen MP.
    Anyway, I think there's no a quicker way to disable a plugin.

Thank you in advance if you have any suggestion about it.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Not long ago I moved to multi-seat setup for testing purposes (my dev-PC as a client and HTPC as a server/client) and soon noticed that whenever the HTPC is turned off it is impossible to use MP on my dev-PC. I get connection errors on logs, starting MP takes forever, GUI is choppy etc.

I think TV Client could be greatly improved on this part, also I believe these problems are always reproducible on multi-seat setup. It's not a big deal for me since I don't actually use my dev-PC for watching TV, just want to confirm that there are issues in the client plugin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

The thing is I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work, because it seems that the problem has to do with the For the record plugin (that tries to connect to the server by itself).
    Well if that is the case then you need to complain to the 4TR devs - we have no control over their plugin.

As soon as I disable the For the record plugin in the client, I can use MediaPortal on that client, with the server off. On the contrary MP hangs and is a mess, it doesn't work properly.
    I don't have a multi-seat system so it is not possible for me to test this scenario, but for me I can stop the TV service and continue to use MP (not the TV or radio plugin of course) without any apparent problem.

I would like to know if it is a way to disable that plugin without entering into the MP configuration, some command line to use in a bat file or something like that.
    Quite often, when I'm watching a DVD or any film using MP in the client, and the TVserver stops because the server PC hibernates after having recorded some TV program, then MP in the client doesn't work properly, and the solutions are:
    - turning on the computer with the server.
    - or, as i found recently, disable the For the record plugin, but it's a bit of a pain, because I have to close MP, enter in MP configuration, disable FTR plugin, and reopen MP.
    Anyway, I think there's no a quicker way to disable a plugin.
    Disabling the plugin is a hack. I suggest you ask the 4TR people to try to fix their plugin properly.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom