MP hangs if channel not transmitting. (1 Viewer)

Portal Pro
January 11, 2005
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.2

Description
Hi,
If a channel is not transmitting when TV is started MP hangs until timeout occurs.. Is there not a more elegant way of handling this scenario ??
Regards.....

Steps to Reproduce:
1: Watch non 24hr channel in evening, e.g BBC3 dvbs.
2: Let MP sleep until next morning.
3: Try to start TV server....MP hangs looking for last tuned channel until timeout.

Portal Pro
January 11, 2005
OK I didn't think logs would be useful in this situation..... I will set MP up to fail this evening and post logs tomorrow.

Regards.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to say this is not a bug but a feature of MP.
    The design is to attempt to tune and then timeout if it is unable to do so.

Obviously if a channel is off-air (eg. BBC3) then it attempts to tune, can not do so and eventually times out (so is doing what it is meant to).

This has been raised before and I think it is too embedded in the code to change (also you can not cancel a tune request so if you do select BBC3 by accident you also can not cancel and switch to another channel until the tuning request has failed).

I am marking this as no bug as any change would be a new feature (and I think it is not possible without a lot of effort so is unlikely to change)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Also if you have more than one tuner you can set it only try 1 (instead of 0 which tries all of them) which will reduce the wait before it notifies you it can't tune to that channel.

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    Sorry for the late reply, Busy with work :-(

PD and doveman thanks for the tips, I'll try them as soon as I can find the time, I didn't realise that the delay could be reduced.
    I understand it would be difficult to make changes to the 'tune and timeout' setup but how about a start on 'default' channel option, It wouldn't help if a wrong channel is selected but it would stop the freeze when starting the tv server with a previously selected channel that is not transmitting.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom