MP not responding (1 Viewer)

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
OK, so I have been trying to implement 7.1 surround. With my combination of PC bits and pieces effectively the only way is to plug my Nvidia 710 into the TV via DVI-HDMI for vision and audio from the 710 via HDMI to the Yamaha receiver. That tests fine via Windows 10. But then MP fails to respond. It is running but the menu doesn't appear so no MP video for me.
When I revert to video & audio via the 710 ti the TV and via SPDIF TV to receiver it's OK - but stuck with 2 channels. Arrrgh!!
any help appreciated

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_01_04_18__16_55.zip
    2.3 MB

wjw

Portal Pro
July 13, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Without knowing the specs of your receiver this may be the wrong question - but since your card has an HDMI output why do you not connect HDMI-HDMI to the receiver and then passthrough the video via HDMI-HDMI to the TV?

I would have thought this would give you everything you need. Certainly works for me with an old-ish Sony receiver and 5.1 sound. Also solves any video/audio sync issues.

beatnut88

Portal Pro
January 15, 2012
Home Country
The problem is that - as I found out to my enormous chagrin after buying a new video card - that it does not support pass-through. So I did try to to do this with the Yamaha but of course came up with the dreaded "no signal" message. I thought that this work-around would solve the problem but unfortunately MP doesn't like it at all. Mysterious!!
Apparently generally NVIDIA cards are all lacking in this regard. The most common resolution is - alas and alack - to outlay more dosh on a Radeon. with no guarantee that whatever card I got supported pass-through.
Obviously yours does. Can you enlighten me as to what it is....
Neil

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm that from personal experience that Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti, AMD RX 460 and RX 570 work fine with HDMI to Receiver (5.1 sound) then HDMI on to the TV, I assumed the pass-through is a function of the AVR not the graphics card.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's a Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX Fanless 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - i.e. an Nvidia card. I agree totally with joecrow, pass-through is a function of the receiver, not the card. So - did you try this without the SPDIF cable connected? What's the default sound device set as in Windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom